EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician
Experience:  ASE, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel, Kia Professional Elite
34559540

I have a 2000 town car, crank no start, no fuel, squirted

Customer Question

I have a 2000 town car, crank no start, no fuel, squirted fuel into throttle body and started, checked for power at pump with led test light, glowed very dim, also glows very dim at inertia switch in trunk. Test light is good and good ground on test light
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. You could have a fuel pump relay that is not supplying 12 volts to the inertia switch. Or you could have corrosion or chaffing of that wire.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

use a voltmeter and tell me the voltage at the same spots you are getting a dim test light result.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If you don't have one or cannot get one, let me know.

Also what engine is in this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4.6L;
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. You could have a fuel pump relay that is not supplying 12 volts to the inertia switch. Or you could have corrosion or chaffing of that wire.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

You can check the voltage with a voltmeter. Or try and replace the relay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2.9 volts at inertia switch, pink w/ blue or black tracer, 12. 2 at trunk lite w same ground connection
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Then that verifies low voltage on that circuit. You need to trace the wire up to the relay to check for a spot causing high resistance. Or try a replacement relay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I don't have owners manual, Haynes manual sucks for these, covers 1970 thru 2010, can you tell me which is pump relay in distribution box?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

The relay is in relay position 1

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for viewing my response about the relay location. Let me know if you have any more questions and please rate the service provided. Thank you.