sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Shawn, I have read your all your replies to the previous

Customer Question

Hello Shawn,
I have read your all your replies to the previous issues with the Navigators air suspension problems. I have a 2006 Navigator with a problem that only happens in cold weather. When it is warm there is no problem and when the car warms up I don't have a problem. It may take upwards of 20 minutes for the suspension to raise and stay raised. When it is cold the car will raise for a moment then lower then raise again and then lower again. It seem to be only the front and not the rear.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You may have a handful of things going on. It could be a solenoid issue, the compressor, an electrical issue preventing the system from working, or it may have a leak. It sounds as though you either have a solenoid issue or multiple problems if it lowers on it's own and then takes twenty minutes to raise.

Is it dropping on it's own while sitting?

Does the compressor run after starting the engine and it should be raising but isn't?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it drops on its own while sitting. The compressor runs after starting. Raises the vehicle but only partial. When the vehicle is diven and when in warm weather it raises it to full height and seems like there is no problem. What components of the system are affected by the cold?

Any component can be affected by temperature.

Does the compressor continue to run when it should be raising but is not?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the vehicle was new the cold didn't affect anything. This has happened within the last year or so.When it is cold the compressor runs and the car tries to raise and I sometimes hear air rushing of out of the left front wheel well then as it warms up the car returns to the normal height and it seems fine. Thanks

If you're hearing the air leaking then that's why it won't raise, and the leak is why it drops while sitting. What you'll need to do is first visually inspect the shocks and lines for any physical damage. If nothing can be seen then you can try to locate the source of the noise when you hear it leaking with the compressor running. If nothing can be found then you can spray the components with a soapy water solution while watching for bubbles just like checking for a leak in a tire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Understand that. I can do that. What would be the reason for it to not inflate when cold and there is not problem when warm? If I were to replace a part which one would it be. Thanks

Cold can affect any components, electrical or mechanical. It could also be coincidence and the problem isn't truly related to cold. Contraction of the parts may be allowing a leak to happen.

If you were to replace a part you would replace the part that is found to be leaking. You either have a line, shock or connection leak.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Copy that. Could it be the O ring seals on the solenoid shrink when cold allowing it to blow air by and when it heats up the rubber expands sealing the area? How hard are they to replace?

Yes, there are O rings on the solenoids and they could be leaking. They're held onto the shocks with quick connects. With the system depressurized you can remove the air line and then the solenoid's quick connect clip and remove the solenoid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are they easy to fix? Can I do this while the shock is still mounted in the car?

Whether you consider the job easy depends on your skill and comfort level. It isn't a major repair.

Yes, the solenoid is removed without removing the shock, the air line and electrical connector are removed and then the solenoid removed from the shock.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am pretty good mechanically. If I find out if this is where the leak is at. How do I go about removing the air line without breaking it. How do I remove the solenoid? I know how to disconnect the electrical. I guess what I am asking is, is there a systematic approach to removing the solenoid? Thank you

The air line and solenoid are both held in with quick connects. Disconnect the electrical connector, disconnect the air line quick connect, disconnect the solenoid quick connect and remove the solenoid. If you're unsure I would recommend picking up a service manual or single vehicle subscription to alldatadiycom.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I bleed that system if the system is inflated. When I jack up the car do I support the wheel or do I let it extend to full travel.

How do you remove the air from the system? A scan tool would be needed if the system hadn't deflated on it's own because of the leak.

The vehicle would need to be raised and the frame supported.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like another expert to help me please. Thank you.

Your question was open for an extended time without a response, far greater than the site has deemed acceptable, and I was the only one that felt comfortable attempting to help so I'm not sure that another will respond. Your question is open for others, if someone wishes to help they will reply here. Replying in the mean time will direct the question back to me.