john aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase certified imac cerified
6149662

I've been doing passive research regarding a soft brake

Customer Question

i've been doing passive research regarding a soft brake pedal on my 2007 mkx. it seems apparent that this is an ongoing issue with the ford edge and mkx, but i have not seen anybody with a resolve for this issue. the most obvious is bleeding the system, which i've had done twice already. just wondering if there is special procedure for properly, and effectively improving my pedal. The brakes work, but there is LOT of travel in the pedal... if i give it quick double pump, it helps a little, but not right
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  john aka eauto replied 1 year ago.

does 2 pumps bring the pedal firm? has the master cylinder been replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not since ive had it. neither prior bleeding service indicated that a new master would help.
the pedal is low but doesn't leak downthe double makes maybe 1/4 inch improvement hardly no difference
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a couple of years back i know that my jeep required a special procedure to bleed the HCU... just wondering if there is something being missed with this mkx

ahhh... there is no service bulletins on this .. with all wheel disc if all the calipers are working and the pads move freely in the bracket there are only 2 options air in the system or a weak master..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there a special procedure to properly and effectively purge this particular system?does the abs system/HCU require special procedure

a scan tool is the easiest and best way..

Brake System Bleeding

Pressure

WARNING: Use of any other than approved DOT 3 motor vehicle brake fluid will cause permanent damage to brake components and will render the brakes inoperative. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.

WARNING: Carefully read cautionary information on product label. For EMERGENCY MEDICAL INFORMATION seek medical advice. In the USA or Canada on Ford/Motorcraft products call: 1-***-***-****. For additional information, consult the product Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) if available. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.

CAUTION: Do not allow the brake master cylinder reservoir to run dry during the bleeding operation. Keep the brake master cylinder reservoir filled with clean, specified brake fluid . Never reuse the brake fluid that has been drained from the hydraulic system.

CAUTION: Brake fluid is harmful to painted and plastic surfaces. If brake fluid is spilled onto a painted or plastic surface, immediately wash it with water.

NOTE: This procedure must be carried out if a new anti-lock brake system (ABS) hydraulic control unit (HCU) has been installed.

NOTE: When any part of the hydraulic system has been disconnected for repair or installation of a new component, air may get into the system and cause spongy brake pedal action. This requires bleeding of the hydraulic system after it has been correctly connected. The hydraulic system can be bled manually or with pressure bleeding equipment.

NOTE: Carrying out the chassis brake bleeding procedure drives trapped air from the otherwise inaccessible lower section of the HCU valves into the upper sections (accessible by bleeding the brakes). Subsequent bleeding removes the air from the system.

NOTE: Bleed the longest brake tube or hose first. Be sure the bleeder tank contains enough specified brake fluid to complete the bleeding operation.

NOTE: Add clean, specified brake fluid as necessary throughout the procedure.

1. If the vehicle is equipped with an ABS, connect the vehicle communication module (VCM) and scan tool into the vehicle data link connector (DLC) under the dash and carry out the chassis brake bleeding procedure.
  2. Clean all dirt from the master cylinder filler cap, then remove the cap and fill the brake master cylinder reservoir with clean, specified brake fluid.

1. NOTE: Master cylinder pressure bleeder adapter tools are available from various manufacturers of pressure bleeding equipment. Follow the manufacturer's instructions when installing the adapter.

Install the bleeder adapter to the brake master cylinder reservoir and attach the bleeder tank hose to the fitting on the adapter.

1. Place a box-end wrench on the RH rear disc brake caliper bleeder screw. Attach a rubber hose to the RH rear disc brake caliper bleeder screw and submerge the free end of the hose in a container partially filled with clean, specified brake fluid

1. Open the valve on the bleeder tank.
  2. Loosen the rear disc brake caliper bleeder screw. Leave the bleeder screw open until clear, bubble-free brake fluid flows into the container, then tighten the rear disc brake caliper bleeder screw and remove the rubber hose.
    • Tighten to 8 Nm (71 inch lbs).
  1. Continue bleeding the rest of the system, going in order from the LH rear disc brake caliper to the RH front disc brake caliper, ending with the LH front disc brake caliper.
  2. Close the bleeder tank valve and remove the tank hose from the adapter and remove the adapter.
  3. Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir with clean, specified brake fluid and install the cap.

Manual

CAUTION: Do not allow the brake master cylinder reservoir to run dry during the bleeding operation. Keep the brake master cylinder reservoir filled with clean, specified brake fluid. Never reuse the brake fluid that has been drained from the hydraulic system.

1. Clean all dirt from the master cylinder filler cap, then remove the cap and fill the brake master cylinder reservoir with clean, specified brake fluid.
    • Install the master cylinder filler cap.
  2. Place a box-end wrench on the RH rear disc brake caliper bleeder screw. Attach a rubber hose to the RH rear disc brake caliper bleeder screw and submerge the free end of the hose in a container partially filled with clean, specified brake fluid.

1. Have an assistant pump the brake pedal and then hold firm pressure on the brake pedal.
  2. Loosen the RH rear disc brake caliper bleeder screw until a stream of brake fluid comes out. Have an assistant maintain pressure on the brake pedal while tightening the RH rear disc brake caliper bleeder screw.
    • Repeat until clear, bubble-free fluid comes out.
    • Refill the brake master cylinder reservoir as necessary.
  1. Tighten the RH rear disc brake caliper bleeder screw.
    • Tighten to 8 Nm (71 inch lbs).
  1. Repeat Steps 2 through 5 for the LH rear disc brake caliper.
  2. Place a box-end wrench on the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw. Attach a rubber hose to the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw and submerge the free end of the hose in a container partially filled with clean, specified brake fluid

2. Loosen the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw until a stream of brake fluid comes out. Have an assistant maintain pressure on the brake pedal while tightening the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw.
  1. Tighten the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw.
    • Tighten to 8 Nm (71 inch lbs).
  1. Repeat Steps 7 through 10 for the LH front disc brake caliper.

Gravity

NOTE: Performing the chassis brake bleeding procedure drives trapped air from the otherwise inaccessible lower section of the HCU valves into the upper sections (accessible by bleeding the brakes). Subsequent bleeding removes the air from the system.

2. If the vehicle is equipped with an ABS, connect the vehicle communication module (VCM) and scan tool into the vehicle data link connector (DLC) under the dash and carry out the chassis brake bleeding procedure.
  3. Bleed the rear disc brake calipers.
    • Place a box-end wrench on the RH rear disc brake caliper bleeder screw.
    • Attach a rubber hose to the RH rear disc brake caliper bleeder screw and submerge the free end of the hose in a container partially filled with clean, specified brake fluid.
    • Open the bleeder screw and leave open until clear bubble-free brake fluid flows into the container.
    • Repeat for the LH rear disc brake caliper.

1. Tighten the rear disc brake caliper bleeder screws to 8 Nm (71 inch lbs).
  2. Bleed the front disc brake calipers.
    • Place a box-end wrench on the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw.
    • Attach a rubber hose to the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw and submerge the free end of the hose in a container partially filled with clean, specified brake fluid.
    • Open the bleeder screw and leave open until clear bubble-free brake fluid flows.
    • Repeat for the LH front disc brake caliper.
  1. Tighten the front disc brake caliper bleeder screws to 8 Nm (71 inch lbs).

that's the procedure...

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
although it will be a few days before i can get this to my guy to have him do this, i "think" i like this answer
as it does address the abs unit. i will let you know. thank you

ok please rate my service 5 star any questions just respond here