Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln
2499435

The patient is an '04 Town Car with a no start / 'no fuel to

Customer Question

Hi Chris,
The patient is an '04 Town Car with a no start / 'no fuel to the rails' problem. After checking the fuses, relay's and shut off switch, I replaced the fuel pump but still have no fuel pressure. The car will start running on starter fluid.
Here is what the car does have - to the fuel pump relay, we have 12 volts to terminal 30 and 86, and 0.66 and 0.62 volts to terminals 86 and 87 respectively. Fuses 20, 21 and 22 seemed good but have been replaced with new 10, 15 and 15 amp fuses anyway. The inertia switch / fuel shut off switch has battery voltage going to it and seems to be ok but is being bypassed for now until the car is running again.
A replacement FP Driver module was swapped out from one from an '03 Crown Vic with no improvement. There are 6.6 volts running through the Green / yellow wire that feeds the FP driver module.
The car is also getting a persistent P1237 code.
The car cranks, but won't start & I'm about out of ideas.
??
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I am Chris (aka-Moose)

The FPDM controls fuel pump ground activity with a duty cycle signal on the BN/WH wire.

Access the FPDM located on the driver side of the trunk behind the wheel.

Leaving the FPDM connected, back probe the Black wire at FPDM pin 2 and jumper it to the Brown/White wire at pin 3.

Turn the ignition switch to the Run position. This should result in the fuel pump running at full speed and 70 PSI or more at the fuel injection rail.

Do you get those results?

----------Once you get an answer----------

1) Please realize I base my info requests and answers on what you type.

2) The more you can tell me the faster and better I can help.

3) I am not an employee for Just Answer, they pay me nothing to help you.

4) I am paid by the customer from your deposit, but only when you rate my answer.

5) You will notice it says rate to finish, rating does not close the post, or end our conversation.

6) I am going to stay in contact with you until you respond and tell me your happy or pleased with the answer. So please reply and let me know the progress on the issue and our discussion or if more help is needed.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris. Still no fuel pressure.

Unplug the new fuel pump and hot wire it straight to the battery. Does it make pressure now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi chris. I bench tested the new pimp before I put it in.

Bench testing a pump not in fuel can make a pump fail. We need to confirm the pump can pump fuel and make more than 70 psi of pressure at the fuel injector rail.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris,Thank you for your answer. I bench tested the pump for just a second (less time than it would have taken for the pump to draw fuel into it) because as you know access to the pump after install is limited. Also, by doing this repair myself, I am unable to power the pump and check pressure at the same time.Assuming that the pump works properly (once told to by the car itself), is there another suggestion you could make to facilitate the repair?

Can you not unplug the pump, run jumper cables from your battery to short sections of wire, to the pump, and leave it running while checking the pressure. In the event the pump can make pressure then we would need to look into the FPDM wiring and a possible faulty PCM and FPDM. Do you need a wire diagram?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris, I can get power to the pump with a power probe but don't know how to hold power there and be under the hood checking pressure at the same time. I've replaced the fpdm with one from a junked Crown Vic. I assume that the junked fpdm was working when the Crown Vic crashed into another car but I could be wrong. I will swap out the PCM (I think I have one around here somewhere) and will let you know.

Swapping the PCM would be a guess and it would require programming. Since you can not check the pressure and pump, can you do the tests below?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/p1237.pdf