Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Lincoln Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

Gh pitched noise whriring? screechy, in 1992 lincoln town

Customer Question

high pitched noise whriring? screechy, in 1992 lincoln town car while driving on freeway at about 60 made my exit and as slowed it seemed to stop. continue to destination off freeway and parked in shopping center. Could smell burning ?something. No lights were on. Lifted hood could smell-did check oil and put quart in. Oil had been change sept. 7, 2015, plus a routine multi inspection on the 14 oct. The car has 156,000 miles. Drove slowly home with a few small stops0did not drive freeway. Think there is a noise but not the one I experienced. Help.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

With those symptoms i would suspect a fan belt to be the problem. If you were to drive it to a parts store one of the guys will look at it and be able to tell. What you want to look for is a belt that is glazed and shiney and a bit loose. That would indicate it is slipping and will make all kinds of screeching noise and smell like burning rubber.

It doesnt sound like anything major and most likely replacing the belts will correct this.

LJ

Any further questions?

I hope that i have provided the information you were seeking. If you are satisfied with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you. If you have another question about this please let me know so l can continue to help you.