A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician
14865528

02 Lincoln Continental. Theft system is engaged and we can't

Customer Question

02 Lincoln Continental. Theft system is engaged and we can't get it to disengage to get it to start. What do I do?
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Is the horn sounding off or is the red theft light on the dash flashing rapidly when you turn the key to on or start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know about the horn, I'll run out and check it now. Yes the light on the dash is blinking but the car won't start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The red light on the dash starts blinking when you hit unlock on the FOB. The horn doesn'tsound with the Fob unlock but it blows if you press the horn button.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Does the red light flash rapidly when you try to start the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It blinks slowly all the time. As soon as you put the ken in the ignition and/or try to crank it, the light blinks rapidly.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

The problem is with the PATS key system. Your metal key has a chip in it that the PCM (Engine Computer) needs to see to allow the vehicle to start. If it does not see a programed key, it will think the vehicle is being stolen and stops it from starting.

How many keys do you have for the Lincoln?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Two Keys. It happens with both keys. Makes no difference.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Ok. You will need to have the vehicle tested for trouble codes in all the modules to narrow down the cause of the problem. The problem could either be the PATS transceiver around the ignition key cylinder, the wiring, the PATS module or the instrument cluster.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You. Looks like a tow to the Ford Dealer in town.and lots of money.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there no way to bypass it or reset it?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

No, it cannot be bypassed or reset. If so, then it would be easy to steal and make the system worthless.

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need any more help.