Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Pete. Rear hatch ajar alert stays on when latched. Rear

Customer Question

Hi Pete. Rear hatch ajar alert stays on when latched. Rear wiper does not work. Seat warmer does not work. All three will start working some times. 2003 Lincoln Gator
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This sounds like two separate faults here.The rear hatch and rear wiper issues are most likely related because if one of the control units/ecu's thinks the rear hatch is open when it is actually closed it can disable the rear wiper from operating or if there is damaged wiring to the rear hatch this can keep the wiper from operating as well.The first thing that needs checked is the rear hatch wiring that runs from the body to the hatch.Usually this is located up near the hinges.If there is any broken or damaged wiring this will need repaired to correct this fault here.If there is no broken wiring this can be due to a fault with the hatch latch itself needing replaced to correct this here.I have seen the latch fail and send false signals on the hatch being open and cause this.If you have no broken wiring let me know so we can continue.

The seat heater is usually a fault with the heated seat element itself as the element circuit can open/short out intermittently and the seat element itself usually needs replaced.This is the most common cause for this fault here.This would need tested further usually with a multi meter to be sure which I can also try and walk you through.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Pete. Located the wiring in the jam on top. Appears to be intact. Are there two sensors for the latch? On either side? Could they be the culprit? When the hatch comes in contact with an object and stops closing can that sensor fail?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Looking through the info on this here your liftgate uses a home position switch.This is the switch that senses when the door is opened or closed and would be the switch that can act up and cause this here.This is different then the pinch protection sensor/switches.Unfortunately my info isn't showing its exact location on your model but in most all models I have dealt with this issue here this switch was part of the liftgate latch itself with the latch needing replaced.You can call a dealers parts department and they should be able to look up this switch to be sure of its location as well as tell you where it is and the cost of it.

Thanks Pete