Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

2009 town car. A suitcase was too gh & the kid was closed.

Customer Question

2009 town car. A suitcase was too high & the kid was closed. The latch engaged but didn't close the lid all the way. The key fob wouldn't release it. The keyhole is the only way to release it. I think the up and down latch is frozen and won't go down. Now there is no action from the motor, Fuse is good. Would the motor be bad or is there a way to release it?
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

The best way to diagnose this latch is with a compatible scan tool. The vehicle's computer monitors the latch function and you can get it to release if it is stuck in one position with the scan tool if the motor is not damaged. You can also check the power from the latch if you have a volt meter and see if the striker switch was damaged:

1. First check for codes in the power trunk module with a scan tool if you have one.

2. If there are no codes, backprobe the Violet and Orange wire, and the Violet and White wire with your volt meter.

3. As you move the striker open and close, these two wires should toggle back and forth. One will lose voltage, then the other. If one or both of the wires never changes with the striker is open or closed, then check for a weak ground on the Black wire, before suspecting a failed striker switch.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to see if you need more help. Please don't forget to rate.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need any additional information. Don't forget to rate (that's how we experts get paid).