HDGene
HDGene, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 year ASE Master Technician & Advanced Drivability L1 Certified Ford Senior Master Technician
285738

I have a 2003 Lincoln aviator. when I accelerate slowly from

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Lincoln aviator. when I accelerate slowly from a full stop, the truck shudders. if I accelerate faster I do not have that issue. Only when I start off slowly and it seems that by the third gear, no more shudder. I do not have any problems when decelerating. there does not seem to be any other issues while driving. just the shudder at the beginning. No rough idle, does not feel like a misfire (I recently had that problem), no loss of power. I took it to the dealership today and they said it was not the transmission. I am so lost as to what it could be please help.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

You took it to a dealer and they said it IS NOT the trans?? They didnt give you any diagnosis?? No codes stored, no mode 6 misfire data? Sounds like possible trans or minor engine misfire

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they did not give me a diagnosis or codes. I was asked to bring it back next week for some specialist guy to look at. But I do not want to be at their mercy. I do not want to be charged for something unnecessary or extra.I just want a better idea of what the issue could be. have you ever heard of such an issue? Is there a way I can determine if it's the transmission or an engine misfire?
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

Well send me the 17 digit vin so I can double check the powertrain you have

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5LMEU68H53ZJ29951
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

Ok its a 5R55S model transmission. It can have a number of things wrong with the trans to cause this concern of shuddering on take off.From a sitcking valve in the valve body, worn check ball, problem with a pressure control solenoid, or sticking intermediate servo piston for the 1-2 shift. Any would be able to evaluated by a trans shop and check for codes with a scan tool along with verifying the trans fluid is full since it has no dipstick

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my concern is wouldn't the certified mechanic at the Ford dealership be able to determine these things? You sound as if you are pretty convinced it's the transmission. Should I take it to a shop specific to transmissions?
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

I would at this point based on what youre describing, for them to say to come back for someone else to look at it is a good inidcation as well

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What more could this specialist find that the regular mechanic couldn't find? It makes me not confident in the first assessment.
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

Good trans shop should be able to tell either transmission or drivability engine misfire concern

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I will take it to a transmission shop that has good reviews. And see what they say.
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

Very good. If you need more help or information please ask. I f I was helpful please hit accept and leave some positive feedback