Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Lincoln Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

I have a 02 lincoln ls that has a traction control problem

Customer Question

i have a 02 lincoln ls that has a traction control problem ....can i fix it myself
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

What seems to be the problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the advance trac light comes on...and stays on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
winter is around the corner and i would like to fix this problem....also it started after i changed the front disc pads... i think it has something to to with the anti brake system.... maybe the sensor needs replaced ... i am hoping you can help me..
thank you dave

Thanks Dave,

You are right about it having something to do about the ABS brake system. It it just started after doing the brkae work then most likely its the wheel speed sensor. Did you check to make sure it didnt get disconnected?

There is one for each wheel on the front.

The anti-lock brake control module receives wheel speed readings from each anti-lock brake sensor and processes this information to determine if an ABS event is necessary. The anti-lock brake sensor electrically senses each tooth of the anti-lock brake sensor indicators as it passes through the anti-lock brake sensor magnetic field.

99% chance its a bad or disconnected, or dirty sensor but the problem is you dont know which side is the bad one.

You can have the ABS codes retrieved and it will tell you which one is reporting a fault though.

Its a special code reader that is used. Most parts stores sell the code reader for around 60 bucks and thats your best and cheapest way to find which one is at fault other than inspecting them real good to see if one is disconnected, wire cut, etc...

Once replaced it will take care of the problem.

I hope that i have provided the information you were seeking. If you are satisfied with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you. If you have another question about this please let me know so l can continue to help you.

Hi Dave,

Any further questions bud?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I apologize for not getting back to you sooner....but I had to put new tires on and the tire shop said that it is pulling a code that the front drivers side abs is not working....so I took off the tire right now and I see no problem with the abs wire....

Sorry for the delay Dave.

If it's setting a code and the wire looks good then the sensor must have failed or there is some crud buildup on the inside of the sensor and it cant read the wheel speed.