Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech
7276279

My "Check Charging System" message keeps coming on, on my

Customer Question

My "Check Charging System" message keeps coming on, on my 2003 Lincoln Navigator V8 5.4. I have a new battery, and "New" alternator, can you give me any idea as to what else could be causing this message to appear? Thank you.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

Hello and than you for your question,

Do you have the early production or late production? Give your your build date located on the drivers door sticker and I can check this for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That vehicle is at home now I'm at work so I can't get the build date right now, but I do know it is early production. The VIN if you need it is 5LMFU27R43LJ35377?
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

Yes you are correct you have the early built unit, the charging system charge rate on the 2003 is controlled by the duty cycle from the PCM (computer) . The first thing you need to do is make sure you have the correct alternator for a computer controlled system, both type will fit but will not turn the light off if the wrong wrong is installed. The other thing to do is makes sure the F2-9 fuse as well as the F2-34 fuse both located in the interior fuse panel are okay and if the fuses check okay and you do have the correct alternator then you need to test the circuit. I have enclosed the steps in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open the link. Check these things for me and post back if you need more help and or have more questions.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Alternator%20Oct%2015.pdf

Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.