Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Lincoln_vehicle_mechanic
20625509

2008 MKZ 3.5L. Wife turned corner then trans went to first

Customer Question

2008 MKZ 3.5L. Wife turned corner then trans went to first gear and stayed there. She made it home. Check engine light came on. Would not restart. Started it by jumping across starter solenoid on starter. Engine runs. Put code reader on it and it shows U0101 lost comm with trans control module.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

U0101 refers to a loss of Communication With Transmission Control Module. Check the transmission fuse to begin with. On most cars the transmission will default to a certain gear when it looses power like when the fuse blows and this is for a limp home mode of operation. So, let me know if the fuse isn't blown or if it blows again or if the problem is still there even after replacing the fuse.

Also some fuses feed other fuses, so I will be right back to let you know which if any fuse that may feed that fuse and exactly what they are called and where there at located.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

The transmission fuses are fuse #16 in the battery junction box found under the hood and the fuse #26 found in the smart junction box.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Here is that wiring diagram,

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Also check fuse #14 in the battery unction box, cause it feeds that fuse #26.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

And here are those power distribution wiring diagrams,

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Any questions just ask before rating me.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Now if it's not a fuse preventing it from starting/cranking or the transmission, ley me know.

The starter system is fused at the fuse 2 and fuse 14 in the battery junction box and fuse 10 in the smart junction box, plus there is a starter relay.

here is that wiring diagram, so in case we need to do some testing let me know when you have a voltmeter or at least a 12 volts test light. Plus, when checking fuses you should test them for power also.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Was it a fuse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for delay. Had to go to hospital for appendix attack; just got home today, so now I will check the things you described.
I checked fuse #16 in the battery junction box and it is good and has power.
I checked fuse #26 in the smart junction box and it is good and has power.
I checked fuse #14 in the battery junction box and it is good and has power.
I checked fuse #2 in the battery junction box and it is good and has power.
I checked fuse #10 in the smart junction box and it is good and has power.
So all those fuses are okay. I can't find starter relay. Is it inside the smart junction box? Yes I have voltmeter and 12-volt test light. Please help.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the starter relay is in the smart junction box.