Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Lincoln Technician
Experience:  Lincoln Senior Master
9600325

2004 ls 3.0, Getting PO663 intake manifold tuning valve

Customer Question

2004 ls 3.0 , Getting PO663 intake manifold tuning valve control circuit open bank 2 PO301 cylinder 1 misfire .
car seems to run ok once up to highway speed , has slight hesitation at low speed and start up
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

For the P0663 Usually this is caused by the tuning valve itself. It is located on the back of the intake manifold under the wiper cowl. There are two of them the upper one is for bank two. I usually replace both. P0301 is usually cause by an ignition coil. I would replace the #1 coil and spark plug and retest. Check for oil in the spark plug well, its very common for the valve covers to leak into the plug wells causing the coils to fail. The upper intake manifold needs to be removed to replace the #1 coil, its on the passenger side closest to the radiator.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any online repair manuals for removing intake manifold , and wow what a design . Is there a test I can perform with fluke meter to test tuning valve and coil ?
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Intake removal,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r62bqy8svepsdkr/intake.jpg?dl=0

There is no published spec for the actuator as far as ohm checking, there are circuit tests but you need a scanner that can command the actuator while measuring voltages, also the PCM needs to be disconnected for some of the tests. Accessing the PCM s even harder then removing the intake on these. As far as the coil goes it would need to be completely failed to even show bad when testing. If its misfiring intermittently then the only way to verify it would be to swap it with another cylinder and clear the code then wait for the code to set and see if it moved the cylinder you changed it to.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Ty , Just so where clear to sum up , Replacing 2 tuning valves with new gaskets , Going to replace all 3 ignition coils while I have access to them . Is there any danger to engine to drive it for next few days until parts come in .
Have had a slight oil leak for years might look at valve cover when I have intake off , Is there any other area this engine is known to leak . I have heard of valve covers and tuning valve gaskets . Just don't want to remove intake twice . Thank you for your help , if you can send valve cover gasket replacement guide I would appreciate it you have been the best !!!!
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Oil pan gasket also known to leak. If the plug wells are dry I would not bother with the valve cover gaskets. Usually the only place they leak is into the plug wells. Replace upper intake gaskets while you have the intake off. Replace spark plugs with any coil replaced. Links for valve covers below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6kcjfoikll2ms65/LH.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2qn7cl7si7brbgv/RH.jpg?dl=0

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service as you see fit. Rating does not close the question if you have follow up questions. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm waiting to install parts before giving my rating if that's allowed
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

No worries

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kenny
Your advice so far seems to have gotten me where I need to be , After removing manifold I noticed tuning valve connector wire was pulled out of connector , Not 100% sure it I did that while removing or if that was issue . I repaired it . I had bought two tuning valves , Non of the part numbers are matching , They fit perfectly and popped in nicely you could feel it was nice fit , They where off same year jaguar . Do you think its a issue the part numbers don't match perfectly , ford .com said 9l490 and the compatible charts say they would fit . The ingnition coils I ordered did not fit , I researched them and because they spcs said all cooper I sort of figured they might be ok , I was not aware that each cylinder had a specific part number and they fit in there so tight you cant fudge it to make it work , I had ordered 3 and plugs figuring while it was off get em all done , I ended up putting old 2 and 3 back on and swaped #1 with driver side rear cylinder Im guessing its #6 it was only one that fit perfectly , Thinking now I can put everything back together and I can see if the misfire follows the coil . And if it does it can be easy to get to later . I was thinking I would benefit by replaceing all 6 coils and plugs maybe get a little more hp and gasmilage back since they have over 100,000 miles on them , am I right or is it a work or not work thing ? Would it pay me to keep car off road another 3 days while I order correct coils or am I over thinking it . I did am putting in all new plugs , Old plugs didn't look awful just looked like a normal old plug however the spark gap was huge compared to specs just as a example specs was .057 the old gap was .069 ish to .072 . I know all this might sound odd to a pro like you but I really tried to save money buy buying parts online and not have correct replacement parts really thru all this off , Going to dealer 70$ for coil x 6 420$ or 50$ for set , I know the quality might not be as good but my god how much better can they be (besides fit I get they need to fit but anyway Just didn't have 500$ to throw at it . I wont bother you anymore after this last question and will rate you today and thnk you vm I appreciate your help , PS I never printed those links you sent me and now they don't work any chance you can resend , I also ordered repair manual and it was blank , its just been one oif those nightmare jobs :)
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply. I have never seen one of those terminals pull out without force but I suppose anything is possible. The Ford coils are all the same part number for all the cylinders, not sure for Jag coils. I would think the valves would be the same even with Jag numbers. Replacing all the coils under the intake would be advisable.

The biggest killer of coils is excessive plug gap, it really overworks the coils when the gap is too large. New links below for valve covers.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f97neoxxgljvvs9/LEFT.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/97spaajfxo9igdf/RIGHT.jpg?dl=0

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Finished today started right up , rpms dropped after about 30 seconds to a nice even idle , test drive ran great no check engine light . Did second Visal inspection and have small water droplets coming off front of intake . Doesn't smell like there's any gas , didn't notice any strong antifreeze presence ether . Where could that be coming from ? I also have one small vacuum line from cabin air filter area that I can not see where it used to be hooked up to , and I can find a vacuum diagram .
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

There is no coolant in the intake other than those two small hoses for the EGR cooler, maybe something in that area or the tstat housing area. Ford does not provide vacuum diagrams. If you can upload a picture here maybe I can tell if I can see it.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Question shows closed with no rating?

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

If it is your intention to not rate please let me know. If there is a website error that is not letting you rate please let me know. Otherwise I will archive this question and stop bothering you

Customer Last Viewed ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2015 at ‎8‎:‎56‎:‎07‎ ‎PM 8 hr(s) 58 minute(s) ago

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

If you need further assistance please feel free to reply and we can continue. Otherwise please take a moment to rate my answer as you see fit. After rating, the thread is still available should you need further assistance.

Thanks,

Kenny Z