Anthony
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.
15218643

Have 2000 Lincoln LS V8 with basically 87000 miles. Have

Customer Question

Hi! have 2000 Lincoln LS V8 with basically 87000 miles. Have bought new transmission and changed out all coils over years. Temp light came on yesterday so turned ac off and light went off and gauge back to normal. Should have put coolant in but waiting to cool engine down completely forgot. Go to leave today, AC still off, temp light comes on, and the engine light comes on saying engine power low. pulled over and let engine cool down and all notifications ceased. EXCEPT engine light still on. Pepboys mechanic added water to radiator but said due to all plastic hoses in jaguar engine and car running hot I should trade in car for something ASAP or it will leave me stranded. True?
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

That engine is very reliable and I dont understand why a mechanic wouldn't do the proper tests to confirm the source of the overheating. The first step would be to see if the coolant is flowing through the radiator and if the fan is working. This can all be done with a temperature gun in a few minutes. It can be either a stuck thermostat to a broken water pump or a bad radiator fan. I would find someone who is willing to fix it right.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No temp gun used. To my knowledge never checked radiator fan. Hell didn't even run car while adding coolant. Always heard run car when adding water to radiator. Was going to charge $42 to check overheating issues but he started cutting the engine down and promoting Honda and scared me to death!
Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.

Wow, you just met someone whom is not a professional or was really having a strange day. You engine is not shot or you would have plumes of white smoke and a flashing check engine light which I assume you didnt have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No smoke and though engine light still on not blinking!
Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.

Hi!

Then there a real high chance the engine is good and just needs a close inspection of the cooling system to determine a course of action.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pointed out where white powder at plastic joint where engine under pressure and plastic hoses will burst and leave me stranded. Very little white stuff for the age of the car.
Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.

Thats superficial. unless they are leaking liquid water they are not the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just looked under car for leakage there is none and there was no liquid at plastic joints
Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

The issue issue is mechanical in nature fan pump or thermostat. I would start at the thermostat. If it was leaking you would see steam.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thought might be thermostat possibly. don't drive a lot so feasible. Should I be concerned engine light still on even though not blinking? As I said temp light off.
Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.

I would address the check engine light after the cooling system is fixed. Thats the right order of fixing it right as the light is most likely caused by the overheating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it will turn off and probably only come back on if temp build up again? will take to my mechanic this week to check out.. I appreciate your help. I feel so much better that I am not blowing the engine up. there is coolant now and I can check with MY mechanic. rather replace thermostat than buying vehicle. Just kills me to do with only 87000 miles. No matter how old. Thank you!
Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome! You can drive short trips if the coolant temp is low.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Must be honest it took quite a bit of liquid to fill reservoir so hoping that's problem. Fingers crossed! You have helped a lot and made me feel much better. Give you an A rating!
Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.

Thank you!

Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.

Please be sure to please rate me well on your end.