Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 1991 Lincoln VII Bill Blass with 68K miles. Really

Customer Question

I have a 1991 Lincoln Mark VII Bill Blass with 68K miles. Really nice car but it probably sat awhile before I got it. Having the problem that crops up with the ABS. I got some advice on how to check it from the Mark VII member blog. Here's what I've done:
Brakes were working great. I took the car in and had tires put on it. When I drove it out both the red and ***** *****ghts were on and very hard pedal. I took it back to them to look at and they couldn't find anything wrong, of course. I ran the electrical checks
on the hydraulic pump relay connection. Both pins 2 and 4 had the same power as the battery. I'm not an expert on using a multimeter so had to google it. To check continuity to ground I put the meter on Ohms set at 20. For pin 1 it showed 1 . Pin 3 showed
.001 Pin 5 showed 1 . If there are other checks you need me to run let me know and how to run them. I can turn a wrench but this brake system is like nothing I've ever experienced. Thanks for all the help
Category: Lincoln
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Update. After checking all of the pins in the connector the power assist is working but both the amber abs light and red brake light are still on
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes then reconnect it to see if this resets the fault here and corrects this issue as sometimes this reset will work.If this does not work let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete. I will try this tonight after work and let you know thanks. Scott
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.Let me know how this turns out here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete, I thought this went through but it doesn't look like my last email went through,. I tried this and the abs light went off. The brake light did not. I checked my brake fluid and it's fine. Additionally, the air bag light is now on. It flashes a few times, goes off, flashes, goes off...
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Inspect for any wiring issues at the battery as well as on the engine and leading into the vehicle.With a vehicle that sat for a period of time there is a chance there is wiring damage due to age and temperature change or rodent damage.If a fault is found it will need repaired.If this is found to be o.k. let me know.

Thanks Pete