Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech with 35 years experience
36867192

I have a 2002 Lincoln L's 3.9. My problem is a few days ago

Customer Question

Hello . I'm Archie. I have a 2002 Lincoln L's 3.9 . My problem is a few days ago my trans made a sound like a dry powerstearing pump so I parked it. The only time it didn't make this noise was when I shifted from park to rev or to d5 or d4 it is a SST trans. I had undone the battery to see if reset would erase any error that may have took place. I reconnected the battery and drove two miles and the car made the same noise and the engine was miss firing no the car makes an attempt to go forward in park , reverse and drive. I have no clue at this point it will move forward when its in 1st but I have to rev it up at a high rpm . What could this possibly be. Thankyou Archie
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.

the transmission has suffered an internal failure, continuing to drive the vehicle will do further damage, it is best to tow the vehicle to a repair facility of your choice, most cost effective method of repair will probably be complete unit replacement, because the noise you are referring to is most likely the transmission pump failing. When this occurs it destroys the transmission.

Please rate my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not, please ask me another question, I will continue to answer your questions even after you have given your rating until you are completely satisfied with my answers.