Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Front end noise on my 04 navigator didn't start until i

Customer Question

front end noise on my 04 navigator didn't start until i replaced air ride with strut masters also new rotors n pads only hear sound during acceleration the faster i go the louder it gets
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question
Is it 2 or 4wd?
What type of noise - humming, roaring, growling, screeching, rythymic scraping, or some other type of noise?
Does the noise change when turning left or when turning right - if so, does it increase or decrease and which side do you turn that it does this.
Depending upon the sound, this could be a hub bearing, brake rotor dustshield, cv axle, transfer case, or other issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its a humming noise doesnt change when turning left or right only starts after maybe 20 mph never heard this noise until we added struts and new rotors the faster u go the louder it gets could it be cheap rotors
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Rotors wont cause a humming noise, at least not ever in my experience. A humming noise is almost always a hub bearing.
Take for a test drive and when it is making the humming noise, put into neutral and see if noise is still there or immediately disappears. If still there, it is one of the hub bearings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Almost sounds like the car is in overdrive its a 2 wd the noise is on the drivers side seems like been to 3 shops evrybody says its safe to drive but its noisy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will
do
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, let me know the results and will go from there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In n still there 30 mph
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, it is a wheel bearing just starting to fail. Hasnt gotten bad enough to increase or decrease in noise when turning. And may not have any play in it yet.
You can jack up the front end, grab the tires at the top and bottom and shake in and out. If either has play in it, replace that hub bearing. But again, may not be at the stage of having play yet.
If not, then chassis listening cups will need to be attached to the fenders in front and behind each wheel and taken for a test drive while listening thru headphones to find out which one is starting to fail
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks will let u know the outcome
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, sounds good
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks