A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician
14865528

Small pieces of the toothpick are jammed in the tumbler of

Customer Question

Small pieces of the toothpick are jammed in the tumbler of the ignition switch.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

You can reply back on this same page. You do not have to open another question.

If there is a tooth pick jammed in the key opening, you will need to remove it and the best way is to locate a thin dental pick like dentist use to get it out. Some stores sell these. Be careful removing the tooth pick or you can damage the tumblers in the lock cylinder. With the tooth pick in the cylinder, you cannot remove the cylinder to get the tooth pick out because you need to insert the key and turn it to line up the detent to remove the cylinder.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried my best to remove the tooth pick with dental pick like tools but can't get it to unlock. Must be really jammed beyond access. I need to get better access to the tumblers to clean it out. What options do I have now?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Not much, unless you have a friend that is a lock smith. You cannot remove the lock cylinder without damaging it because you cannot put the key in it.