Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2011 Lincoln MKX, 50k mi., clunking sound when turning the

Customer Question

2011 Lincoln MKX, 50k mi., clunking sound when turning the steering wheel to the left,only. (not the right side at all) Also noticeable when you drive over a dip on the road or a speed bump.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question
It would help to have a bit more information -
I know you said it only happens when turning to the left or going over bumps, but didnt mention where it appears to be coming from - the left wheel area, from underneath the driver footwell area, or some other place
does it make a deeper clunking sound or more high pitched metallic sound
If the mechanics are only checking the suspension with the vehicle in the air, then they may not hear anything as there is no load(weight) on the components that make the sound noticable. It need to be checked on a drive on lift like one used for a front end alignment
Any additional information you can provide will help in diagnosing a sound I am unable to hear in person
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It only happens on the right side(passenger).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems to be coming from, possibly one of the linkages or the strut support area.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, the sway bar link needs to be checked for not only broken or missing bushings, but for missing washers that would allow movement of the linkage and cause noise.
If ok, the upper strut mount will need to be checked for worn bearing mount or bearings