sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Chuck, 98 Lincoln VIII. Front airbags fairly new. Both sides

Customer Question

Hi Chuck, 98 Lincoln mark VIII. Front airbags fairly new. Both sides go down to wheels when the car is off. Could it be the seals or airline? Why would both sides go down? Rear is ok.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

There are a few things that could be going on.

It could be bleeding pressure through the solenoids that control pressure to the front shocks.

It could be an external leak, and this would be more common. The leak could be in the shocks themselves, the lines between them and the valves, or the leak could be at connections between components.. The bet thing to do would be to run the car until the suspension is raised and then use a soapy water solution in a spray bottle, spray the shocks and lines and look for air bubbles just as you would a tire. An air leak will show up as small bubbles.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've already tried the soapy water and have found nothing. Maybe if it was on a lift, I'd have a better view. I know no one that has a lift that I'd be able to use. What do you mean external leak? Is there a way to fix the common leak? That would be great if that's it. Where are the solenoids? And why does the whole front end go down if the leak is only on one side? How long do you think I can keep driving it without damaging the pump? I've heard that the pump is expensive. Could one of the air lines have a pinhole leak? It takes all night for the front end to go down and it does not do it every night. If the leak is in the airbag itself wouldn't I lose the air a lot faster. I don't understand how it can be a part time leak. Thank you for your answer but I need more detail so I can pinpoint the problem and fix it. If I'm going to be charged for another answer, please don't answer. Just let me know and I'll figure it out myself. Please, no more charges, it's my girlfriends card. Thanks sprinkles

I'll get back to you as quickly as I can!

An external leak would be one of the shocks or lines, internal would be through a valve.

Any time the compressor is being overworked it can shorted it's life. I wouldn't recommend driving it for too long before repairing it.

Yes, the leak could be in one of the lines or the shocks. Either way, the time it takes to leak off just depends on how large the leak is, any leak can take hours to cause it to fully bleed down.