Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech
7276279

90 Lincoln Town car won't start in park ,only neutral will

Customer Question

90 Lincoln Town car won't start in park ,only neutral will shut off in park,reverse,and low
Category: Lincoln
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also rolls forward a little bit in neutral, change the fuel pump, battery, plug, wires, cap,roter,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have not changed the crank position sensor
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

When you say it will not start in park are you saying it will not crank over or does it crank but not start? If that is the case dose the check engine light com on with the key and go out while cranking. Let me know and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It cranks but don't start. I did complete tune up in replaced the fuel filter ando fuel pump and I also replaced the neutral safety switch same thing happens. I don't got the neutral safety switch that goes behind the shift linkage on the transmission so there is no adjustment I can make. Mine is above the linkage towards motor and has a 4 prong plug that goes to it. It only starts in neutral then I put it in reverse or park or low gear it stalls. It stays running in drive and second gear and neutral only. What do you think is causing this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the car runs when I start in neutral thereally is no check engine light
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have seen other car owners describing the same issues with the same car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Some say to change the ignition switch and others say crank position sensor, have not changed either, any ideas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Check lite comes on before cranking, then goes off when cranking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there are
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any one there to answer the question
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

If its cranking then its not the neutral safety switch, will it stay running once started if you unplug the safety switch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In neutral it stays running when you unplug the neutral safety switch, does not start in park
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

What I want you to do is start the engine and then unplug the neutral safety switch and then shift it into gear and see if it will stay running.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It dies
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

Well when it dies are you loosing fuel pressure or spark?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In line spark test, we have spark,
Starting fuel in throttle body reconnect tube and no start, starts fine in park and runs smooth
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

Okay then while it will not start can you check and see if you have injector pulse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems as though when trying to start in park the transmission is engaged, not to the point of rolling but resistance to the engine, we tried with starting fluid but will not start
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

It would be impossible for the transmission to be engage while in park , Im not so sure this type of problem is going to be something I can figure out online for you. Im afraid this is going to require some hands on help.