Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln
2499435

Shawn I'm replacing the alternator on my 2002 Lincoln LS

Customer Question

Hi Shawn
I'm replacing the alternator on my 2002 Lincoln LS (V8) and after working all day yesterday getting the old one out, I'm having a time getting the new one in place. The hangup getting the old one out was at the top bolt. The bolt was out but the alternator would only pivot along that axis as if the bolt were still in place. After much wrangling, prying, tugging, pulling and swearing, I was able to get it out.
Not the issue is the same but opposite - that is I'm trying to get the new alternator into place but I can't get it to go in between the ears (where the top bolt goes).
I'm almost to the point of taking the alternator out and doing a little grinding to make it fit.
Any suggestions would be appreciaited!
Category: Lincoln
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not the issue....." should be "Now the issue..."
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Normally its the alternator/generator pivot bushing that has worn grooves into the aluminum parts the alternator is mounted to, causing this issue. Cleaninging up either the alternator or mount with a grinder or sandpaper usually will give you the slack you need to get the alternator into place. I have included the Ford steps below if they are of any use.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris