Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I'm having acceleration/hestitation problems with my 2004

Customer Question

Hello:
I'm having acceleration/hestitation problems with my 2004 Lincoln Aviator. The problem is intermittment. After coming to a complete stop (stop light), when I press the accelerator, the RMP hand jumps back and forth from 2-4, although the car is either not moving, or moving at 5-20 mph. Unable to go further, and lately, I have to turn the car off.
Here are the following. (two different dealers have no idea what it is or where to start):
U1950 - 4 x4
C1805 - ABS/TCS - Mismatch PCM and/or ABS-TC MODULE
B2900 - ABS/TCS
U1073 - ABS/TCS
U1262 - ABS/TCS
U1950 - DSM
U1041 - IC - Invalid or missing data from Vehicle Speed
U1059 - IC - Invalid or missing fata for transmission/transaxle/PRNDL
U1123 - IC
C1707 - PAM
C1709 - PAM
C1710 - PAM
P1000 - PCM
U1262 - TPM
U1026 - VAPS
Help!
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

All of those codes point to a communication problem with the PCM. I would start by checking all of the electrical connections leading to and from the PCM. Next you may have to start looking at replacing the PCM, which will require a reflash by the dealer, or someone with a ford IDS tool.

Three of those codes point to communication with the instrument cluster as a possible problem, but I don't think that would affect drive-ability.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Someone mentioned that it sounds like the output or input sensor (or both), which is located on the transmission as the culprits. Do you agree to this re the drivability issue? Lastly, re the sensors, so you recommend OEM or
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you recommend OEM or aftermarket parts?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.
If it was just those two codes I would say yes it is probably a speed sensor, but you have major communication fault going on somewhere. There is an updated transmission wiring harness (sometimes referred to as a bulkhead at the dealer) that is supposed to cure transmission communication faults on the expedition. I'm pretty sure the aviator uses the same transmission. I can't currently seem to find the schematic on it though so I can suggest a part number. That harness could very well be the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could the harness fix the communication problems as well? Or, does it sound like I have two seperate issues? My local deakers have NO IDEA where to start, I've asked them to check the sensors and wiring, and I'm told that it would take a lot of time and money, which lead me to believe that they're both clueless and uninterested in helping me. Based on my research, this isn't an isolated incident, as I've read a few forums that describe said problems, in both Ford and Lincoln forums. Lastly, are you saying that the PCM communications issues are not related to the drivability issues? One dealership thought the two were related. Thet attempted to download updated modules, but the system stopped the downloading, and they were stumped, so they saud the two problems were not related, and I needed to buy a throttle body/tps, which I did with the same results= acceleration/hestitation problems.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I definitely think the drivability problems are related to the communication problems. I would see if you can get a transmission specific shop to check transmission communications. If they can't get the transmission to communicate then see if they will replace the transmission wiring harness. If the transmission communicates then the PCM may be at fault.