Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech
7276279

Replace battery and now the wires get hot and won't

Customer Question

Replace battery and now the wires get hot and won't start and the battery cables are right,what would cause this to happen
Category: Lincoln
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
If the battery cables are getting hot this means in most cases you actually have an excessive current draw usually due to either a short to ground on the battery cables and or the starter is drawing to many amps. Has the starter been tested to be sure its not shorted out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where would I look for a short to the ground cables
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

I would follow the negative battery cable down to the starter where it connects while take a close look at the complete cable to make sure its not rubbed through and touching anyplace. If the cable looks okay, try removing the cable from the starter and see if the cable still gets hot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll give that a try , when I disconnect the cable from the starter will I still get power for lights
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

Yes disconnecting the starter will only kill the starter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Ronnie I will give this a try, won't be able to do this until tomorrow, will you be available tomorrow late afternoon online if this problem still persists , Ty,,,,,,,Bill
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

Im here everyday so yes, post back with the results and we can work from there Bill. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.