Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln
2499435

I have a 2008 Lincoln Navigator with about 127k on the

Customer Question

Hey Chris, I have a 2008 Lincoln Navigator with about 127k on the clock. The truck quit running on me few weeks ago and I had the fuel pump replaced after the truck died on me while backing out of the driveway. Got it back and it was running fine. A week later it started starting "rough." Meaning, you turn the key and it cranks much longer than it normally would. Seems like giving it some gas helps it fire more quickly. Although sometimes this isn't the case.
Was on the highway this past weekend and was traveling at about 76-77 miles per hour, when I saw a wrench icon appear on the information center, which I understand means the truck into "limp home" mode. I pulled over, shut it down, started it back up (still hard starting) but no lights. Got back on the highway, the truck ran fine, and then about 20 mins into the trip, the wrench icon popped up again, now along with the check engine light.
i took the truck to an auto parts store and had the guy put it on a code reader for me. Came back as a "transmission drum overdrive sensor" on the reader. I am 3 hours from home and trying to figure out my best course of action, and naturally, what's wrong with the truck. Appreciate any help you can give me.
Thanks!
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

For the transmission code, I would just drive it home. If you notice the transmission acting up in a certain gear, change gears and adjust your speed accordingly to avoid this gear or gear change so you can make it home to then get it repaired.

For the rough start, fill the fuel tank and add 2 bottles of the strongest STP injector cleaner. Use brake cleaner to spray clean the MAF sensor. Use brake cleaner and a tooth brush to clean the throttle body. Fill a spray bottle with sea foam cleaner, with the air filter removed and the engine at 2000 rpms, spray all the contents into the throttle body. If the plugs are older than 70k then install new motorcraft plugs.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris