FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
Experience:  AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Lincoln Navigator: When I was driving my 2005 Lincoln Navigator

Customer Question

When I was driving my 2005 Lincoln Navigator on the Highway, all of a sudden the steering wheel was shaking badly, I was holding tightly the steering wheel using my both hands, but I lost control and the front left corner crashed on the left median and it crossed all the four lanes and stopped by itself on the right shoulder. The 8 air bags didn't deploy. The car is under investigation by the state police and it's been over 2 months and it's still on hold. I don't know much about the car mechanism, waiting for your reply. Thanks!
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  FixItMan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you just looking to see why the air bags did not deploy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, also I wanted to find out why the steering wheel was shaking badly and I lost control.
Expert:  FixItMan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. There are two things that happen that can cause this. The most common is a failing tire that has a tread separation. If this occurs you can easily lose control of the vehicle. The second is what is known as a death wobble. Some vehicles, such as this one, can have a situation in which some of the front end parts are worn out. When this occurs and if the alignment is off then the caster angle in the alignment can actually cause the vehicle to become unstable at higher speeds and cause this uncontrollable wobble.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why none of the 8 air bags did not deploy?
Expert:  FixItMan replied 1 year ago.
Being that this is an older vehicle it does not have the same technology that newer vehicles do. It is possible that the brakes may have locked up during this issue which would make the vehicle think that it is stopped. If it has that information the air bags will not deploy. Newer vehicles have a number of additional sensors and stability systems to keep these types of things from happening. Also, if the air bag light was previously on then the air bag system would not be functional. Was it on prior to this occurring?