Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln
2499435

Lincoln MKX: I have a 2009 Lincoln MKX FWD w/3.5L engine. Around

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Lincoln MKX FWD w/3.5L engine. Around March of this year, I began having intermittent starting problems. I have had the vehicle to the dealer 3 times with no resolution to the problem. There seems to be no "constant" to when the problem occurs, and it may occur several times in a day or may be several weeks between episodes.
On the second visit, the tech did a visual inspection and found a bad connection going to the starter and cleaned and tightened it. But after a few days, the problem returned. On the next trip, it did fail to start, but again no diagnostic code showed. The dealer replaced the transmission sensor switch, but the problem return after a couple of weeks. It has gone as long as two weeks without incident. Sometimes, it will start on the second try, but most often, it has to sit for several minutes before starting.
There are other symptoms which may not be related, but it seems highly coincidental they have started appearing since the initial no-start problem. On several occasions, the memory settings on seat-position and HVAC controls have been erased, seemingly on their own, and last week on several occasions, the warning chime sounded although no problem existed (for example, the single tone as when you are low on fuel, even though I had 3/4 of a tank).
Although I am certainly not well-versed on the on-board computer systems, I am wondering if the computer itself might be going bad. A friend of mine said her fiancé had a Stratus acting the same way and part of the computer itself had failed. I have suggested this to the Lincoln CSR assigned to the case and the Service Manager, but their response is always they "can't just start hanging parts on without a code." The only reason I have continued this long to have it repaired is the fact it was the last vehicle my wife purchased before passing away and our kids would like to keep it for sentimental reasons. Other than this problem, it is a very nice vehicle, gets good mileage for an SUV, and I, too, would like to keep it. But, aside from the inconvenience, I am concerned this could eventually lead to a more serious, or even dangerous, situation. The dealer has scheduled for me to return the vehicle July 27 for another attempt at resolving the problem. I will compliment both the CSR and the dealer for their efforts thus far, but we have about reached the point where something else needs to be done to resolve this issue, even, if it means "hanging on parts" to correct the situation.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
When it will not crank do you at least hear a click?Any way possible you can do some diag steps yourself when this occurs to at least rule out portions of the starting system not to blame?