Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln
2499435

Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited: 2007 lincoln tc. The batttery

Customer Question

2007 lincoln tc. The batttery charge light has been on for about 3-4 years. When it first appeared, i took toshop. They replaced alt. and battery; however light was still on. They took out new alt. and reinstalled old one; so as not to charge me. Over 3-4 years, ocasionally car power would just cut out and engine stop. Trying to sell car now, so mechanic and I determined that perhaps 3 wire plug into alt was bad. Slightly pushing on connector made battery light go out. Anyhow, after changing plug, now the light is still on however most of dash power (including a/c system, speed gauge, fuel gauge, etc) now cuts out every minute or so. I was going to start replacing other items; one at a time. First Alt., then perhaps PCM, etc. Appreciate any thoughts from you. JIM
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Hold on and do not replace any more parts. First we need to do the proper testing.Start the engine and measure the voltage at the battery with meter. Then check the voltage at the battery cable post on the alternator. DO both when the engine is running and the warning indicator is on. This will help narrow down the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Previously the battery/charging light came on, and stayed on. After talking with two local mechanics yesterday, they determined that the 3 wire pigtail which connects to the top side of the alternator was faulty. When they gently moved the connector, the batt/charging light would go out. At any rate, after replacing the alternator pigtail connector; the problem is now much worse. When the car is started, all the dashboard lights, etc. come on ONLY for about 3-4 seconds. Then the dashboard gauges go dead; including the speed gauge, tachometer, etc. ALSO; the A/C compressor turns off; although the blower fan seems to keep working, in fact possibly even blowing faster. ALSO; the following items do not work now (after the 3-4 second period): 1) door locks, 2) power seat controls, 3) mirror controls, 4) trunk opening button on door. This may not be a comprehensive list, however you get the idea. Most of these items seem to be associated with the DCM located in the front driver door. I can not understand why this new set of problems have occured, although they may possibly be associated with the pigtail replacement. While researching the problem on the internet; I came across an earily similar set of circumstances that you addressed starting on 7 August 2012. I will check the voltages tomorrow morning; after securing a voltmeter.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
The 3 wire connector only goes to the battery, PCM and the alternator.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you suggesting that a faulty plug could NOT be responsible for either the battery charging light (which was on for about 3 years) or for the current set of problems. I was with the mechanic, sitting in the driver seat, when he was playing with the connector. (Prior to replacing it) When he pushed on the connector; the battery charge light would go out. We did this several times and the result replicated itself.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
The new problems. In cause the battery light, but not the other issues. We need to what the battery voltage test show at the battery and the alternator.