HDGene
HDGene, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 year ASE Master Technician & Advanced Drivability L1 Certified Ford Senior Master Technician
285738

I have a 2000 Lincoln town car, the a/c is inop...the clutch

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Lincoln town car, the a/c is inop...the clutch on the compressor spins freely with slight resistance. When I turn the a/c on with the control on the dash the fan under the hood comes on but no compressor. Any ideas?
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.
Hello, do you have power and ground to the ac compressor clutch coil?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the car need to be running or can the key just be in the run position with the a/c switched on with the dash?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In order to check for power and ground?
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.
Running
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have any voltage at the compressor connector or at what I believe is the transducer on the high side line
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.
Ok do you have battery voltage at the low side cycling switch on the ac accumulator and does the compressor engage if you do and you jumped power across its two wires
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the switch with a test light and it lit up but I didn't check for voltage, I didn't try jumping it but I will try that...what can I use to jump it?
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.
A paper clip or piece of wire across the two terminals
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried jumping the low side switch and nothing happened
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.
Ok and with the switch jumped do you now have power and ground to the compressor clutch coil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No power to the compressor
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.
Here is the wiring schematic. It uses an ac relay to send power to the compressor,is there two power sources at the ac relay with the relay out and engine running and ac on? Do you hear the relay click if you install it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which one is the junction box, the big or small box?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Found it, I don't hear any clicks when it is installed
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.
Ok just with a test light or volt meter you should have two of the 4 relay pins in the junction box hot with the ac demand on. You can also try taking a different relay such as for the horn and plug it into the ac spot and se if it comes on. Also you can jump power across the relay to the coil side of the relay and see if the compressor kicks on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I jump the pins with key on and a/c on engine off the clutch moves
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got a new relay and it clicks
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.
Ok so does the ac work mwith the new relay or only when it is jumped?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The a/c kicks on with the new relay...my blower motor stays on all the time even with the temp control panel off, with the control on the speed cant be controlled and there seems to be power continuously going to it
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.
Ok so its working now except for an issue with the blower staying on all the time correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it works but the a/c compressor cycles every 10 seconds for about 3 seconds , I assume this may be a charge issue but the blower is staying on all the time and is not affected by the temp control on the dash
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.
Yes most likely low on charge, I would suspect a shorted blower motor controller(blower resistor)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried using a can from auto zone and it seems to still be doing the same thing...will a shorted blower controller keep power to the blower motor all the time?
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.
Yes it can, and those cans with the little gauge work so so, if its really low, best thing is to check it for leaks, and evacuate and recharge the system with professional equipment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything works now, so I had a bad EATC, clutch relay, and blower motor controller.
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.
Very good, if iM not mistaken Ive assited you on two different questions for this vehicle. Not that it is repaired, please hit accept and leave positive feedback so I get credit for assiting you with this concern