Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln
2499435

Lincoln Towncar: Have 1997 Lincoln Towncar Executive; until

Customer Question

Have 1997 Lincoln Towncar Executive; until today when we moved the trunk lid to close, it would grab & lock. Today it will not, must close manually & then the locking motor runs, not stoppoing.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
The locking motor / latch assembly is faulty, inside it are 2 switches, and in your case they have failed and the latch can not detect the correct position of the trunk lid striker. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We had the entire locking mechanism replaced in 2013. We have had no problem until yesterday, discovering that the locking mechanism failed to activate when lowering the trunk lid. Once I was able to get it to manually lock, the motor continued to run. I had to remove the trunk lid light and leave the trunk open all night to stop the motor (and to save the battery). I did find an earlier response to some other owner, the switches appear to be working and manually I can get the latch to raise and lower. Is there a way to bypass or disable the automatic locking mechanism and to open and close it manually? I looked at the wiring harness at the back of the trunk but do not know which one applies to the locking mechanism. The fuses that control it apparently also control other vital accessories so I cannot remove that at this time to disable the automatic lock.
You could disable the system by installing a crown victoria style latch and striker and doing away with the electronic latch if your not wanting to diagnose or replace it again.