Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln
2499435

Lincoln Town Car Cartier: 1999 lincoln towncar, starts and

Customer Question

1999 lincoln towncar, starts and runs fine. While driving however, occasionally it will not accelerate. It doesnt die, it just goes idle( for lack of a better description), and will not repond to the accelerator until u bring the speed down to around 20 miles an hr. This typically happens after taking a curve at speeds between 20- 40 mph, or when going up a hill. Always when ur at speeds as i've mentioned between 20-40 mph. If ur on the interstate at speeds upward of this, the car runs fine.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Does this occur more so when the fuel tank is below 1/2 tank?Can you check the trans oil to see if its low causing aeration? You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cant say for sure if it occurs only when the tank is below half, but it hasnt been above half a tank since the problem started. Its my mothers car and she has been drivn another vehicle, so she hasnt been keeping much gas on the Lincoln. As a matter of fact the times i have driven it to try to determine what was going on it was near empty on all occasions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About the transmission fluid, i feel like its not a transmission issue, due to the fact that the engine doesnt rev up like it does when a tranny slips, it just (the engine) wont respond to the accelerator. The rpms will not increase and u can tell its running roughly, like what i would consider a flooding engine.
Can you fill the fuel tank and report back on those results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could do that but a tank of gas is approxiametely $70. I could have it put on a analysis macine for about that, which is why i decided to go with just answer ( less expensive). Could you explain to me why you think that could be the problem? What would cause it to do what its doing because of the gas level in the tank. Im sure before this problem arose that the tank had been close to empty occasionally without having this issue.
You said this occurs when taking a turn. So it has to be something moving during this turn. if it were electrical then there would be a code stored, light on, and most likely it would stall. So I feel like its the fuel sloshing and effecting the fuel pressure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So what do you think has changed to cause this to start happening only recently. And if it is fuel sloshing, please explain how that could affect the fuel pressure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually, come to think of it, this has occurred when there was alot of fuel in the tank. I just remembered, that she and i took about a 2 hr roundtrip in this vehicle ( mostly interstate) and this problem occured then. So i think we can rule out the that it would be due to a low fuel level issue. And if we did rule that out, what would we look at next, do u think?
The way you want to diag and the way I want to diag are not the same and going to cause issues. I think its best I opt out and let someone else help you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im sorry that you feel that way, although i cant put a finger on what I may have said that made you feel that way, however i have not been contacted by anyone else about this issue. If you are the one that is resposible for making sure i am referred to someone else, please follow up on that as it has been well over 24 hrs since i've received a response. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you aren't responsible for referring me to someone else, please let me know how to contact someone else on this issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does anyone monitor these sessions? I feel like it's just me and Moose and he left. I realy dont know what to do at this point.