EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician
Experience:  ASE, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel, Kia Professional Elite
34559540

Lincoln: chuck have lincoln zephyr that ac compressor

Customer Question

hi chuck have lincoln zephyr that ac compressor cycles off and on a/c seems to work fine but all of a sudden in traffic a/c will stop blowing cold and engine temp will go way up...turn off a/c and engine will cool down driving me crazy as then it will heal and not do it for a couple of days then do it again
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Hi, make sure the vehicles coolant level is full. Also you need to check that the cooling fan is coming on when the engine reaches normal temperature, with no ac on. Then you also need to verify that the cooling fan comes on when the ac is turned on. If the cooling fan is not acting correctly, in this way, then you can experience overheating and lack of ac when at idle or in traffic. So please do these checks and let me know. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
coolant full.....although only 78 degrees out today electric fan not coming on while idleing w/ a/c off drove car about 3 miles fan did not come on.....turned a/c on when at destination fan turns on with a/c on
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Sounds like the low speed fan is working. AS you stated it may not be hot enough outside to warrant the high speed fan to come on. That will generally come on when you are not moving or moving slow with the ac on and the engine temperature will not cool down with just the low speed fan. To check the high speed fan, you need to use a scan tool and turn on the fans low and high speed to see if they work.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Also make sure the front of the car is clear or debris and leaves for proper air flow through the radiator.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
As you stated it may not be hot enough for the high speed fan to come on. That is something you will want to note, if this happens again. When the ac gets warm and temp rises make sure you hear the high speed fan coming on. If not that may be where your problem lies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im thinking that this is electrical problem .....when the guage goes to hot ....if in fact.... the engine is really hot would it not ping or piss coolant out or hear the thing boiling away? it does not seem to do any of that.....just the guage burys itself
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
All of that possible. And just fyi, if it is running hot and you are driving it like that, it could damage the motor beyond repair. You could have a thermostat that is failing. That will cause the engine to run hot. If you think its electrical then next time it is hot, to try and verify if it is overheating, you can use a temperature probe and check the temperature of the hoses and area around the thermostat.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Also if you had any service done to the cooling system lately an air pocket might be trapped in the cooling system.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for viewing my response. Have you made any progress with your car? Let me know if you have more questions. And please rate the service provided. Thanks.