Vladgmru
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience:  I've been working with American made cars since 1992.
12883947

I have an 03 navigator. it kept blowing fuses upon closer

Customer Question

hi i have an 03 navigator. it kept blowing fuses upon closer inspection i found the inflation switch wires to be chaffed and shorting to the seat frame. i isolated the wires replaced the fuse now the inflator works however the seat adjustment switch did
not work i assume its the same fuse. i took the adjustment switch from the driver side and connected it to the passenger side and it blew the fuse. so i determined that the seat adjustment switch was bad. so i took the passenger side adjustment switch and
connected it to the driver side. it doesn't blow a fuse but the seat does not adjust make any noise nor does it blow a fuse. leading me to the conclusion that the switches are not interchangeable or that my problem is more than just the switch. your help wold
be appreciated.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.My name is ***** ***** more information pleaseDo you have a memory seat system or it is just plain power seat system?Is it a 8-way connector for the power seat switch or 12-way connector?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Btw I assume you meant 8 way or twelve way you meant the terminals in the switch.
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 1 year ago.
Hi, yes. you might have less wires/ terminals used within the connector, but there should be 8 or 12 cavities. I am just checking wiring and there are some different options available. Also do you have memory system for your driver seat? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes memory , I switched driver side switch to working passenger side and it blew a fuse switched passenger to driver side no blown furs but no action when movements where attempted
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so is it 12-way connector switches on both sides?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The switch on the passenger side has 12 tabs and appear to be the same, the wiring harness block on the passenger side has 10 wires with two empty again look the same but two wires are not on that side
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 1 year ago.
Ok, Thanks.Even though both the switches look the same and have the same plug configuration, they are not identical and not interchangeable.You driver seat is controlled by a Driver Seat Module( because it has a memory system) so the driver side switch receives +12V( Orange/lt Green wire) from 7.5A fuse 1.3. When you operate the driver switch, it send signals to the Driver Seat module that in turn should actuate corresponding motors of the seat track.On the passenger side, the switch provides power directly to the motors. The driver seat control module should receive +12v power from two fuses, one is 30A fuse 1.109 and the second one is the same 7.5A fuse that supplies power to the driver switch. It is quit possible that you have just a blown fuse and I hope the driver switch is not damaged due trying it on the passenger sideCheck this out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 1 year ago.
Yes what?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12 terminal switched on both sides
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I already received that information before. Did you receive my answer? Ok, I will paste and copy it .Ok, Thanks.Even though both the switches look the same and have the same plug configuration, they are not identical and not interchangeable.You driver seat is controlled by a Driver Seat Module( because it has a memory system) so the driver side switch receives +12V( Orange/lt Green wire) from 7.5A fuse 1.3. When you operate the driver switch, it send signals to the Driver Seat module that in turn should actuate corresponding motors of the seat track.On the passenger side, the switch provides power directly to the motors. The driver seat control module should receive +12v power from two fuses, one is 30A fuse 1.109 and the second one is the same 7.5A fuse that supplies power to the driver switch.It is quit possible that you have just a blown fuse and I hope the driver switch is not damaged due trying it on the passenger sideCheck this out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OkAy I will thanks.... Fuse did not blow when attempting to use passenger side switch on driver side. No visible / audible results good or bad when I attempted this I will get the correct switch and report the results
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, but please check all fuses before move any further.
Again for the driver side it is 7.5A fuse 1.3 and 30A Fuse 1.109.
For passenger side it is a separate 30A fuse marked 1.108.
Please do not forget to rate my answer "positive" when you feel I have been of help. We will continue communication as long as we need it regardless of rating my services.
See you later.
Regards,Vlad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you provide the locater numbers for the 3amp and 7.5 amp fuses this thing has 40 fuses!
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 1 year ago.
it is 30A fuses, not 3A.
Both 30A fuses (1.109 and 1.108) and 7.5A fuse (1.3) are located in the Central Junction Box.
The central junction box is located on the RH side under dash or I would describe it behind the kick panel.
See if you have numbering on its cover or in your owner manual.
Let me know how it goes. Thanks
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 1 year ago.
I am just checking if my answer helped you and if you might need more assistance.
I would also be happy to know what you have found and what the problem was.
If you are happy with my answers and find it useful, could you please actually rate my answer as OK Service or higher so that I can get paid for my time and effort?
This is the only way we (experts) get paid here on JustAnswer.
If you need more assistance, please just reply back.
Kind regards,
Vlad.