Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln
2499435

Lincoln Navigator: I have a 99 Lincoln Navigator 5.4L 32V

Customer Question

I have a 99 Lincoln Navigator 5.4L 32V DOHC. I had to replace the left cylinder head due to secondary timing chain breaking. I had purchased a used one from ebay, and found out after install valves was no good.  I had then saved up some money to purchase a remanufactured head, and after assembly, there seems to be a knocking when the vehicle starts and idle. But when turning over no sounds.

I have the OTC tools needed for the timing, all timing marks are aligned according to All data.

I had taken the left valve cover off, and see no signs of anything out of the ordinary.  When I conducted a compression check it had showed 120 - 150 psi. which is in range.

The question is what is the knocking noise, and suggestions to correct this problem.

Category: Lincoln