Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have a 1999 Ford Contour with the check engine light on &

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Ford Contour with the check engine light on & after starting it up, it cuts off. I was told that it was 2 sensor failures; the oxygen sensor & the R&R sensor to the tune of $300.00. Is this the correct diagnosis?
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you know what diagnostic codes your getting? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
B1S1, PO131, PO133, PO, MTUPART, MTULBR171
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Does vehicle restart right away after it shuts down? Does the check engine light ever flash off/on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the car restarts right away after it shuts down & the check engine light doesn't come on anymore.
Also, my car is a 1999 Ford Contour.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Does it run good other then shutting down or does it also seem to run rough?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it runs good & only shuts down with the initial start. I might add, the car has 60,000+ miles, as I don't drive it everyday, I drive it for errands & dr's visits about once weekly, sometimes less, so it sits alot.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
V6 or 4 cylinder engine? Did check engine light and symptom both happen at same time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4 cylinder and yes check engine light came on & stayed on & then the car started stalling...
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I agree with shop that replacing oxygen sensor is the best place to start and most likely cause. If it was anything else you would most have other diagnostic codes setting. $200 is also fair on the price. The sensor costs around $100 then it is a hour to install, most shops charge around $100 per hour. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your observation. Where are the 5 questions you wanted me to answer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Dan, the car is still cutting off; it cut off twice yesterday. I guess I'll never find out what's really wrong with my car. I can see how you would side with the other mechanic who worked on my car. I guess it really is true that like minded people stick together.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Was the sensor replaced? If so, are you still getting the same code?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right now, it doesn't matter as I cannot put the car back in the shop right now. Thanks for trying to help.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I would replace the sensor yourself if your trying to save money. Let me know how it turns out, thanks.