Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln
2499435

Lincoln LSE: 2002 Lincoln LSE v8 3.9l Always had problems

Customer Question

2002 Lincoln LSE v8 3.9l
Always had problems since day one but this one is new and annoying. I don't have the money to make the car perfect but this one problem has got to go.
Car starts and usually stalls after a few seconds. Will die right away if I press the gas. After that if I start it again it will usually stay on but run real rough like no way i'd drive away like that, the car would buck. It'll do that a few more times if I keep shutting it off and turning it on. Eventually it'll run smooth and be fine.
Now, if i left the key in the ON position for like 3 - 10 minutes and tried to start it, it would run fine right away.
Tried cheaper things I've read about like fuel filter, cleaning and testing the IAC to no avail so far. Fuel pump seems fine but what would I know. I read something about maybe fuel injectors? When it does start and run good it has a smell of fuel for a few seconds.
Also i'd say maybe once a week if i try to start it right away it makes this weird POP noise and has some slight smoke and electric type smell. any ideas what my next part should be to try?
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
My suggestion is going to be monitoring the fuel pressure on a start where this occurs. I suspect the pressure slow to rise and the injectors are dripping the fuel more so than spraying an atomizing it so its more ignitable. Can you check the fuel pressure?
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris