Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Lincoln Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

Lincoln Town Car Signature: right side lower ball joint came

Customer Question

right side lower ball joint came apart and i can't get the ball spindle out of the steering knuckle on my 99 lincoln town. It looks like it is all one unit.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
What i usually do is beat the hell out of the side of the knuckle right where the tapered end of the ball joint goes thru, then hit the top of the stud and see if it pops out. So in other words give the side a couple of smacks, then the top a couple of smacks, then smack the other side of knuckle a couple times then smack the top....a lot of smacking going on there but it usually gets the job done :-)
The tapered part of the stud is froze up inside the knuckle and you just have to get mean with it.....If you heat anything, heat the knuckle and not the ball joint stud.
Best wishes my friend!
LJ
Did you get that sucker out?
If you are happy with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you. If you have more questions on this just holler!
Larry