Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech
7276279

Lincoln NAVIGATOR: I HAVE A 99 LINCOLN NAVIGATOR, WHILE DRIVING

I HAVE A 99 LINCOLN NAVIGATOR, WHILE DRIVING THE BATTERY LIGHT CAME ON AND THE GAUGE SHIFTED DOWN TO XXXXX IS STILL RUNNING SO I ASSUME IT IS NOT THE ALTERNATOR. PLUS I REPLACED THE BATTERY YESTERDAY.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to assist you.

Is your Navigator a 1999 or a 2009?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1999

Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.
Torrie,

The battery light on your 1999 is controlled by the internal voltage regulator in the alternator and in most cases if its coming on it due to a failing alternator and not the battery. The fact that the gauge has dropped would indicate the alternator is not charging. I would start with making sure the #11 fuse in the under hood fuse panel inst blown as well as the #16 fuse in the interior fuse panel and if not then have the alternator test as its most likely failing. The engine will continue to run as long as the battery has power.

Ron.

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please be
sure to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE/3-5 STARS/SMILEY
FACES to complete transaction or ask for more help by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

Positive feedback is always appreciated. Please note that if you have a
subscription service you still need to to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR
EXCELLENT SERVICE/3-5 STARS/SMILEY FACES , however you are not charged again.
Thank you.

Please note the 1 to 2 faces(POOR AND BAD SERVICE) are a
negative rating. Before choosing one of these, please reply first so that I can
further help you. Thank you Ron.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

BY THE WAY THE RADIO AS WELL AS WINDOWS STOPPED WORKING WHILE DRIVING. IF I CUT OFF THE CAR WILL IT CRANK AGAIN? AND IF NOT IS IT STILL THE ALTERNATOR

Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.
Yes it still most likely the alternator because the gauge has dropped as well , if its not charging at some point the battery voltage drops and this effect the complete electrical system and it may not restart if the battery is to low. The next step is to have the charging system tested. You need to see 14 volts while the engine is running on a properly working alternator.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

LAST QUESTION, THIS ALL STARTED WHEN THE HEAD LIGHTS WERE LEFT ON OTHER THAN THAT I HAD NO PROBLEMS.

Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.
The headlamps would have only drawn the battery down and caused the alternator to have to work harder to recharge the battery and if the alternator was weak could have placed enough strain on it to cause it to fail.Everything still points towards a bad alternator. The test will tell for sure.
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 35 years as an automotive tech