Shawn
Shawn, Technician
Experience:  16 years in the Automotive Industry

Lincoln Navigator L Ultimate: My heated/Cooled seats quick

My heated/Cooled seats quick working via the button on the center console for the two front captains chairs. Any idea how I can fix or troubleshoot?
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Shawn replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for asking your question today. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Did they both stop working at the same time?
-What else have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply. They did stop working at the same time. I looked for a blown fuse in the panel near the passenger door, but didn't find anything blown. Of course I could be looking in the wrong spot. Usually when you hit the button, the button would light and you would feel the fan. When the button is hit now (for either seat) there's no light or fan that comes on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
More information - I think this probably started after my battery had died and it had to be jumpstarted. Im not entirely sure, but thats the closest thing I can pin it down to.
Expert:  Shawn replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for asking your question today. The most common cause of the problem you are having in most cases is a blown fuse, on the back side CJB Fuse F2.118 (see diagram below).

graphic

• All climate controlled seats are inoperative
  • CJB Fuse F2.118 (30A).
  • Circuitry.
  • DEPOWER the supplemental restraint system (SRS). DISCONNECT driver safety belt buckle pretensioner C3201 or passenger safety belt buckle pretensioner C3202 of the affected seat and CONNECT restraint system diagnostic tool 418-133 to the safety belt buckle pretensioner harness connector. CONNECT the battery ground cable. CHECK driver CCSM C3031b-4 (or passenger CCSM C3036b-4), circuit 1153 (RD/BK) for battery voltage. REPAIR as needed. If okay, REPAIR ground to driver CCSM C3036b-3 (or passenger CCSM C3036b-3 and C3036a-9), circuit 57 (BK). Once the repair is complete, DISCONNECT the restraint system diagnostic tool from the safety belt buckle pretensioner harness connector and CONNECT the safety belt buckle pretensioner connector of the affected seat. REPOWER the SRS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll go check that now. I was also doing some reading online and just came up with this... Any thoughts?

"Here's what I found out from a Ford service guy out of CA that is on the land cruiser forum I'm on:
"OK...........if you still need the info(I didn't realize it's been a week)...............my guy sez that your seat heater control modules will need to be reset with the NGS(scanner)(if you know someone with a shop it's the same for all OBD-II vehicles)
and there is the possibility that if a module sees below 8 volts it's fried...............

FIXED!!!!!

Only took 25 minutes and less than $100 at the dealership!

I want to be clear on my symptoms, 2004 Expedition EB, battery died and I attempted to charge for a brief period and then use the 'car start' option on my battery charger. After that attempt both seat heater/cooler switches were out, no lights to either switch, no heat or cool to either seat. All fuses for the seats checked out ok but they would not come on like there was no power to the switches.

The dealership used the NGS scan tool and confirmed there was an error code on the seat climate control modules, which they reprogrammed. Drove the 45 minutes home from my closest Ford dealer this morning switching both front seats back and forth between heat and cool and they worked great!"
Expert:  Shawn replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for asking your question today. Ok,good. That is very likely, since the battery was replaced. Check the fuse first, if not then you will need to go to the dealer. Below are the the DEPOWER and REPOWER Procedures.

Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Depowering and Repowering Procedure Click Here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Those look like the depower and repower procedures for the Supplemental Restraint System. How is that related to the DCSM module? I also read a suggestion that I remove the fuse and the plug to the DCSM module under the drivers seat for 30 minutes for a reset. Do you have a diagram of this module so I can tell what plug supports it? Also, is an NGS scanner only available at a dealership? Thanks!
Expert:  Shawn replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for asking your question today. Not sure where this information you are referring to is coming from. Some is incorrect.
You will need the WDS (Worldwide Diagnostic System). Which is only available from the dealer.
The NGS (New Generation Star) is also available through the dealership only. However, there are scan tools out that are equivalent, but must be able to read body codes as well. I am sending you the service repair manual information on the seat testing directly from Lincoln for your vehicle in pdf format, (just click on the link below).

Click Here for Test Procedures

Climate Controlled Seat System Description

NOTE: When installing a new climate control seat module (CCSM), it is necessary to carry out programmable module installation (PMI).

NOTE: Faults that cause the climate controlled seat to shut OFF after more than 40 seconds are usually mechanical in nature, such as incorrect foam installation, duct blockages or misaligned TED.

The climate controlled seat system is able to heat and cool the front seats. Each climate controlled front seat is controlled by a switch located on the center console.

Both the driver and front passenger seat has an independent climate controlled seat system installed. A climate controlled seat module mounted to the bottom of the seat cushion electronically controls the climate controlled seat system. The climate controlled seat system receives power from both the battery power and vehicle run circuits. The vehicle must have ignition ON, engine running and the switch set to HEAT or COOL 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5, for the climate controlled seat system to activate. The switch will illuminate to indicate the desired operating mode.

Cabin air is drawn through the seat fan motor and distributed to each of the thermo-electric device (TED) modules located in the seat cushion and backrest. The TEDs then heat or cool the air. The air is then directed into the foam pad B-surface. Channels in the A-surface of the foam pad are used to distribute the air along the surface of the seat. Once the system is activated, the climate controlled seat module uses a set of flexible algorithms to control the heating/cooling modes, and the fan motor speed based on the climate controlled seat switch settings.

The TED uses a ''Peltier'' circuit of P-type and N-type semiconductors connected in series using copper electrical conductors. The semiconductors are sandwiched between two insulating ceramic plates. When current is applied to the TED, one side releases energy as heat, while the opposite side absorbs energy and gets cold. By reversing the current flow, the hot and cold sides reverse.

The temperature differences between the individual HEAT and COOL settings is minimal. For example, it is difficult to distinguish between LOW COOL and MEDIUM COOL settings. Monitoring the seat temperature at different HEAT or COOL settings should not be done as it is ineffective in confirming climate controlled seat system operation.

Heating Characteristics

NOTE: The presence of overtemp faults (DTCs B2729 and B2730) can be induced by incorrect operation of the climate controlled seat system after an initial HEAT setting has been attained. If a HEAT setting is repeatedly turned OFF and ON in an attempt to increase the seat temperature, an overtemp condition can result and the DTC(s) will be set.

• The climate controlled seat system draws approximately 7.5 amps until reaching the set point, and then the system operates at a reduced amperage to maintain the climate setting.
  • In HEAT mode, the TED can add up to 40-60°C (72-108°F) to the ambient air temperature entering the system.
  • There are five manual settings based on the position of the climate controlled seat switch on the center console. Position one is the LOW setting and position five is the HIGH setting.
  • In the LOW setting, the climate controlled seat module is set to maintain TED temperature at 37°C (99°F).
  • In the HIGH setting, the climate controlled seat module is set to maintain TED temperature at 65°C (149°F).
  • If the temperature at one of the TEDs rises above 90°C (194°F) in the HEAT mode or 70°C (149°F) in the COOL mode for more than four seconds, the CCSM will record an overtemp DTC, remove power from the TEDs and go into ''Blower Only'' mode in an attempt to cool down the TEDs. If the TEDs temperature has not dropped to 85°C (185°F) in the HEAT mode or 65°C (140°F) in the COOL mode after 30 seconds, the CCSM will shut down and remain off until the ignition is cycled. Also if the CCSM detects an overtemp twice during the same ignition cycle, it will also shut down.
  • In HEAT mode, there is no linear correlation between the seat fan motor speed and the TED supply voltage. The CCSM will independently vary the fan speed and the TED supply voltage in order to reach and maintain the temperature determined by the switch setting.

Cooling Characteristics

• The climate controlled seat system draws approximately 4.5 amps for the first twelve (12) minutes and will operate at 2 amps thereafter.
  • In COOL mode, the TED can remove up to 8°C (14°F) from the ambient air temperature entering the system.
  • If the temperature at one of the TEDs falls below 18°C (64°F), the climate controlled seat module will shut down the TEDs. If the temperature continues to drop below 12°C (54°F), the climate controlled seat module will shut down the fan motor.
  • In COOL mode, there is a correlation between the seat fan motor speed and the TED supply voltage.

Shawn, Technician
Experience: 16 years in the Automotive Industry