Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln

Lincoln LS: I have a 2003 Lincoln LS 3.9 V8, it recently started

I have a 2003 Lincoln LS 3.9 V8, it recently started going into the fail safe mode. The car has just over 100,000 miles on it. I purchased it used about 6 months ago at the time it had 87,000 miles on it. It ran almost flawless until about a week ago. The first time it happened I didn't know what had happened, I accelerated quickly and when I did the car hesitated, missed and went into the fail safe mode. I shut the car off and restarted it, everything seemed fine. The car seems to run fine when I take it easy and am not climbing any hills. On level highway and no quick acclerations there are no problems. However, underload or sudden push on the accelerator causes the car to go into the fail safe mode. The ETC Fail Safe light and the check engine light comes, however the check engine light doesn't come on all the time. I read the trouble code and got two codes P2107 and P2110. The 2107 code indicates a problem with the Throttle Actuator Control Module; 2110 also has to do with the Throttle Acuator Control System. What can I do to fix this problem?

Hi, I’m Chris. Welcome and thanks for asking your question!

Step one is to remove the air intake tube from the throttle body. Get a helper to turn the key to run, engine not running, and hold the throttle down 100%. Now you need to clean the throttle plate and throttle body with a tooth brush and spray brake cleaner. Now reassemble. Disconnect the battery and wait 10 minutes and reconnect, only remove the negative. The alarm may sound on re-connection. Now enter the vehicle and start it. Take it easy for the next 50 miles. Then see if the concerns come back. if they do then you need to replace the throttle body for internal wear in the throttle motor and not a concern with carbon on the throttle plate.

I myself do not work for Just Answer/Pearl. I am a certified tech and my background experience has been verified by this company so that I can answer questions here. I work for YOU, the customer. This is what I do to pay my bills, it is my job. I really do appreciate you coming here and asking a question. I also appreciate all the details you have provided. Do understand helping someone through a keyboard is tough. Also my skill level may not match yours and I may have described a task to do, thats beyond your abilities. In that case just reply. Please rate my answer with one of the higher 3 levels so I get credited for helping you. I would prefer not to get a lower rating which results in a negative on my record. Please rate my answer, not the website, or the bad news if there is bad news. If you need to reply for clarification, before or after rating please do so.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have no problem rating your answer, however I must first apply your answer and see the results, which I will do tomorrow as it is 9:30 PM currently. I the reply seems pretty straight forward and is something that I should have no problem doing. Thanks!
Sounds like a plan to me, do realize if the cleaning does not resolve it, then you must replace the ETB to resolve these trouble codes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I cleaned throttle body per your instruction, it seemed to minimize the problem however did not eliminate it. The problem presists, I drove the car about ten miles and it went in the fail safe mode twice. The check engine light came on the second time. Checked the trouble codes and got the same two trouble codes, 2107 and 2110. I guess a new throttle body is in order. Are you pretty confident that this is the only thing that could cause problem, I would hate to spend in excess of $400 for a new throttle body and the problem remains??
Your codes are pointing right to the throttle body motor being at fault. Since the carbon removal from the blade did not help, that leaves a new ETB needed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Based on your diagnosis of my problem, I order a new throttle body for my car. It came in today and I installed it. double checked all the connections, made sure it the mounting screws were torqued properly; disconnected the battery cable for 10 minutes, reconnected it; started the car and drove it. The throttle body was not the problem, the car once again went into the fail safe mode and threw the same two trouble codes. Your analysis of the problem cost me over $400 and I still have the problem. Won't be using this service again. Disappointed!

I am sorry my diagnosis was wrong, I can submit a refund if you would like, I do not mind. I would still like to keep helping if you do not mind. This has to mean there is a wire short or a fault within the PCM now. You need to complete the below tests.

Download here

Download here

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just wanted to let you know that I resolved the issue with my car today. I replaced all eight plugs and COP and the problem is gone. Car runs great now, at least for the current time. Replacing the plugs and COPs was much less expensive than replacing the throttle body. I am told that bad COPs can cause a variety of false codes to be thrown.

You are correct, a bad COP can cause a frequency signal that confuses the cars computer. Thanks for the input and I am glad you have gotten it resolved.