Mat, FLM senior Master Technician
Experience:  11yrs at FLM dealer, Senior master tech, auto trans, driveability, air susp

2007 navigator: rear end..warning..restarted..if no quick fix

The air suspension control on my 2007 Navagator is in the "on" position, yet the rear end of the vehicle is low and "check air suspension" warning on. I have turned it on and off and restarted the vehicle after a rest period. if no quick fix Can I drive it to the dealer safely. Thanks, John
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Mat replied 4 years ago.

Hi I would like to help you out.

Do you hear the air compressor kick on and run?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes it did run, but no change to the rear end
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
any advice..john
Expert:  Mat replied 4 years ago.
Ok thats good info, thanks. It looks like this won't be a quick fix. The vehicle has two rear ride height sensors, one on each side, these supply a voltage back to the VDM module with the vehicles actual ride height. Since the compressor turns on we know the module recognizes the rear of the vehicle low. Commonly what happens is the air compressor fails but still runs, the output from the compressor will have very little air volume and pressure. When the compressor is at this stage it is to weak to pump up the rear springs. This is the most common failure we see at the dealership. There are other possibiltys and to be sure the Ford IDS scan tool will need to be plugged in to the vehicle. Since the air suspension light is on there will be codes stored in the VDM module related to the failure in the system. (similar to a check engine light). If you plan on bringing the vehicle to the dealership you can drive it, most everyone does I've never seen additional damage done by driving it in for service. Note the ride will be very rough.If you need further assistance or have another please reply and I would be glad to help. Thanks