Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

1999 Lincoln Town Car: flush..my cooling system..radiator..drain plug

Customer Question

I am going to flush my cooling system in a 1999 Lincoln Town Car. I need to know locations. Where is the radiator drain plug? Does the radiator have a filler neck? Where is the bleed air valve for the cooling system?
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 2 years ago.

Kalamykid :

This car only has a fill point on the coolant resevior. There is a small hose to the top the the resevior that will self bled the system. The radiator drain plug will be on the botom of the drivers side of the radiator.

Kalamykid :

After you drain the coolant from the radiator and flush the system, close the drain valve, and poar your new antifreeze into the resevior to the fill line, start the engine and let it warm up for atleast 8 minutes and check the coolant level. If it is low top it ff with new antifreeze to the full hot mark.

Kalamykid :

the system will bleed itself as long as the car is level or the front of the car is slightly higher then the rear. If the front of the car is lower then the rear, air may get trapped in the engine.

Customer:

So there is no bleed air valve on this car?

Kalamykid :

no. the system self bleeds through the small rubber hose from the top of the passanger side of the radiator to the top of the resevior.

Customer:

If I give you the steps I'm going to take can you verify they are correct?

Kalamykid :

I woudl be happy to do that for you

Customer:

1.) Remove reservoir cap.

Customer:

sorry hit enter too soon, i'll give them all in a row

Kalamykid :

ok

Customer:

1.) Remove coolant reservoir cap......2.) Open radiator drain plug.....3.) Drain coolant and tighten drain plug......4) Add prestone flush to coolant reservoir and top off reservoir with tap water......5) Run engine with heater on high untill engine reaches normal operating temp......6) Drain......7) Fill coolant reservoir with distilled water.....8) Run engine for 15 mins.....9) Drain......10) Fill coolant reservoir with new coolant.....11) Run engine, heater on high untill reaches normal operating temp....12) Check levels, add if needed.....13) Bleed air ( so I do absolutely nothing for this step?)

Kalamykid :

This willnot work. You will have to get a T flush kit so you can T into the heater hoses and flush the system out with a water hose before you add the prestone flush to the system. You have to get all the old antifreeze out first or the flush itself will not be able to clean the system properly. then yu can fill the system with the prestone flush and let the engine warm up.

Kalamykid :

Here are a copuple of tricks I use. When you go to get your flush kit, get a 3 inch piece of 5/8 heater hose. When you go to instsall the T into the heater hose, do not cut the heater hoses and put the T into them, insted remove the heater hose form the intake port on the passanger side, install the T into the end of the hose, and then use the new hose you just bought on the other end of the T and then the other end back to the intake port.

Kalamykid :

This way when you are done you can remove the T and not have to worry about the T cap leaking.

Kalamykid :

Also get a 1 foot piece of 3/8 hose. You can put this hose on the tip of the drain valve so that when you go to drain the coolant from the radiator, it will not splash all over the serpintine belt and will go straight into your drain pan.

Customer:

Ok, where is the heater hose located?

Kalamykid :

Then after you have warmed th engine up with the flush in it, youhave to run the water hose to the T one more time to push out all the flush and old water. You will want to leave the water hose on till the water comeing out of the top of the resivior is good and clear. then remove the T form the heater hose, open the drain valve again so you can get as much water out of the system as possible.

Kalamykid :

The heater hoses run from the fire wall on the passanger side to the passanger side rear of the engine. There are two lines, one that runs to a pipe just behind the passanger side valve cover, and the other one runs to the intkae on the passanger side rear of the engine about 7 inches form the back of the engine.

Kalamykid :

Let me see if I have a diagram so you can see exactly what I am refering to.

Customer:

when you say intake you are referring to the intake manifold?

Kalamykid :

yes

Kalamykid :

I marked the location of the heater hose you need to T into with red ink.

Kalamykid :

Full Size Image

Kalamykid :

If you do not use a water hose to flush out the prestone flush, it will damage the new antifreeze and can make it so it will not protect your engine.

Kalamykid :

When you go to add antifreeze back into the system, make sure to use full streighth antifreeze only as there will be plenty of water already trapped in the engine, and you shoudl be able to get a good 50/50 mix just adding antifreeze.

Customer:

OK thank you

Kalamykid :

If you have the rear of the car higher then the front of the car when you go to drain the system, you will get more coolant out of the engine, but make sure to have the car on level ground hen refilling it.

Kalamykid :

the higher he rear, the more coolant you can get out of the engine.

Customer:

ok thank you

Kalamykid :

You are very welcome.

Kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience: I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 2 years ago.

You will not be able to get all the water out of the block. It is best to take the 50/50 mix back and get straight coolant. It is cheaper by the gallon to get the straight insted of the 50/50 premixed cooant.