Steve
Steve, Lincoln master Tech
Experience:  30 years working for Lincoln dealer. Lincoln master.
43460220

2006 Lincoln: ticking..a possible cam sensor problem..rough..knocking

I have a 2006 Lincoln Mark LT. The truck has a ticking (what used to be refered to as "tappet noise") at idle under normal conditions. It also has a possible cam sensor problem that occassionally, after driving some distance, the idle will become rough and the sound from the engine turns into a knocking. When this happens it will stall, but it will restart with no problem.
The truck was taken to a Ford dealer who didn't bother to look at the cam position sensor, but checked the oil pressure and said that it was 18psi at idle. From that, he decided it needed a new engine. I always thought that 18psi at idle wasn't too bad, so I retreived the truck and here I am looking for answers.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.

Steve :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Steve :

You need a minmule of 25 psi for the cam phasers to work properly.

Steve :

If it is 18 psi then yes you will need a engine to resolve this concern.

Customer:

What is the specification for oil pressure at idle?

Steve :

At idle needs to be above 25 psi. I usually see it around 40 psi when I check it out.

Customer:

Couldn't the lack of pressure at idle be a problem in the pump?

Steve :

Unfortunately these engine have this concern. and Every one I have run into needs a engine if it has low pressure.

Customer:

What in the engine goes bad? Shouldn't I have the pan dropped and check the main bearings before going to the expense of the new engine?

Steve :

You can remove the oil pan and inspect for plugged oil pick up and try a pump but I have found in the past this is not the concern.

Steve :

And at the same time inspect the bearings.

Steve :

Unfortunately this engine has a inherent oil pressure concern. Very common problem. Giving you info On what I have found every time I get one of these engines with this concern.

Steve :

But it is possible you may be lucky and You have a plugged screen or a bad oil pump.

Customer:

Are there any replacement oil pumps that operate at a higher pressure? Actually, before this problem, I thought that engines were fine operating at about 15psi at idle and 45psi at speed. I guess things have changed.

Steve :

Yes they have changed The cam phasers need a minmule of 25 psi to operate properly or you get drive concerns.

Steve :

The pump will not help if the bearings are worn and the oil ports are plugged up.

Customer:

Can you give me some idea what it should cost to get an engine? New, remanufactured, or used.

Steve :

Do you also want labor price or just engine price?

Customer:

The total with labor.

Steve :

the engine is 1500 dollars and it takes 23 hours

Steve :

total looking at around 400 dollars for the whole thing to be done

Steve :

4000

Steve :

or 3500 to 4000 dollars

Customer:

Is that a new engine?

Steve :

no a rebuilt

Steve :

I do not believe you can get a new engine

Customer:

ok, thanks for the information