Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln

Lincoln Aviator: 2003 Lincoln Aviator: I am getting "CD Error"

Customer Question

2003 Lincoln Aviator: I am getting "CD Error" when trying to use player. Door is stuck open and wont accept CD's or eject.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Just so you know up front, not always do we have the ability to post good news and in this case thats whats going to happen.

First off you need to remove the radio from the dash. Let me know if you need help. Now unplug the radio and sit it in the seat overnight so it can discharge and reset. In the morning install the radio and try it out. This is the only way to accomplish a reset and the only way to try and get it to work without disassembling it and repairing it which I cant help with since this is not done at dealerships. its sent off and refurbished. I am told the most common fault is the cartridge location sensor or circuit board, by the company that rebuilds them.

If replacement is needed. It will take a dealership about 3 days to get a refurbished unit. You can also change to an aftermarket unit. Don't be fooled by the ebay radios. 90% of them are broke just like yours.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did not anticipate an answer that required work such as removing the radio. Why can't I just disconnect battery overnight? That is what "non-experts" have done with success and posted on the internet. I am not opposed to paying a few bucks for this info, but very opposed to pay full price. My final opinion: Because Just Answer will keep 100% of fee if I'm not totally satisfied means I won't ever use this site again. That's a rip off for JA and the expert to keep all the money. Very dishonest and misleading. I have $2 credit.

You can remove the battery cable but I have found the discharge time is longer, because there are alot of modules in the vehicle that store power in resistors and when the battery is disconnected, this still allows the other modules to transfer very small amounts of power back and forth.

I am not saying dont do it that way, I am just saying it may not accomplish the same goal in the same amount of time.

JA will keep the money if you do not accept, they keep it in your account here so you can use it at a later date. At any time your not pleased this is a 100% satisfaction website, so you can always ask for a full refund.

Below is a ford image showing how to get the radio out, it takes about 4 minutes.

1. You pry and pop off #1
  2. Remove the screws and pop off #3
  3. Pry and pop off #4
  4. The rest is self exclamatory.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience: 16 years experience with Lincoln