Shawn
Shawn, Technician
Experience:  16 years in the Automotive Industry

Lincoln Navigator: 2004 Navigator air suspension problem.

2004 Navigator air suspension problem. driver side starts to raise then will blow all air out via solenoid. does this intermittently. replaced solenoid, same issue. switched height sensor to right side and still no difference?
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

The other Experts and I are working on your answer.

By the way, it would help us to know:

-Is the check air suspension light illuminated?

-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The check suspension light/error message just showed up but once I hit reset it goes away. I have disconnected battery and also reset via the toggle button.
Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The most common cause of the problem you are having is a defective ride height sensor. However, before replacing any parts I do recommend proper testing first. If you need I can send test procedures as well as replacement instructions.

• Uneven vehicle height
  • Front/rear pneumatic failure.
  • Height sensor.
  • Solenoid.
  • Air compressor assembly.
  • Air line.
  • Circuitry.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
can you please provide info with Pneumonic failure, how to test and where it is? I switched the height sensors from left to right and that had no affect.
Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the reply.

Please give me a few moments to get the information for you.

And Please don't forget to click on the green ACCEPT answer button, so that I may get credit for my work, thanks.

Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The test procedures are below.

Test StepResult / Action to Take
E1 CHECK THE AIR SUSPENSION HEIGHT SENSORS
  • Inspect the LF, RF, and rear air suspension height sensor for correct installation at the upper and lower ball stud bracket for damage.
  • Inspect the air suspension height sensor mounting brackets for damage.
  • Verify that all air lines are fully seated.
  • Are the air suspension height sensors, mounting brackets, and air lines OK?
Yes
GO to E2

No
REPAIR as necessary. If the height sensor mounting brackets are installed or repaired, RESET front ride height. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.
E2 CHECK THE AIR SUSPENSION HEIGHT SENSOR OPERATION
  • Turn the air suspension switch to the OFF position.
  • Disconnect the lower end of the LF and RF, and rear air suspension height sensors.
  • Connect the scan tool.
  • Monitor LF, RF, and rear height sensor PIDs.
  • NOTE: The voltage increases as the suspension is compressed.
  • While monitoring the 4WAS module LF, RF, rear height sensor PID display, slowly move the LF, RF, rear air suspension height sensors up and down its full travel.
  • Do the voltages vary between 0.50 volts and 4.50 volts?
Yes
RECONNECT air suspension height sensors. GO to E3
No
INSTALL a new height sensor. CLEAR the DTC. REPEAT the self-test.
E3 VERIFY THAT THE VEHICLE CAN BE RAISED
  • NOTE: To trigger the OFF active command using the NGS, press "cancel", then press off.
  • TRIGGER the 4WAS module front and rear suspension fill active commands.
  • Allow the vehicle to raise for 30 seconds.
  • Record the voltage levels for the LF, RF, and rear air suspension height sensors at the up and down full travel positions.
  • Does the vehicle raise evenly and hold the new height?
Yes
TRIGGER the 4WAS module off active command. GO to E4.

No
TRIGGER the 4WAS module off active command. GO to E6.
E4 VERIFY THAT THE AIR SPRING SOLENOIDS DO NOT LEAK
  • TRIGGER the LF, RF and rear air spring solenoid vent active command.
  • Disconnect the air line at the right rear air spring solenoid valve.
  • Use a thumb to block and unblock the end of the disconnected air line as the air escapes.
  • Can air pressure be felt when the air line is blocked?
Yes
GO to E5.

No
IDENTIFY the leaking air spring solenoid valve by observing which air spring assembly continues to vent with the air line blocked.

INSTALL a new air spring solenoid valve. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.
E5 VERIFY THAT THE VEHICLE CAN BE LOWERED
  • TRIGGER the 4WAS module vent front and rear air suspension active commands.
  • Allow the front and rear to lower for 30 seconds.
  • Does the vehicle lower evenly?
Yes
INSTALL a new 4WAS module. REPEAT the self-test.

No
GO to E9.
E6 CHECK OPERATION OF AIR COMPRESSOR

CAUTION: The 4WAS module limits the air compressor run time. If the air compressor overheats, it will not restart until it cools down. The ignition switch must be in the OFF position to allow the compressor thermal switch to cool.

• TRIGGER the 4WAS module compressor on active command.
  • Does the air compressor run (slight buzzing noise from RF fender)?
Yes
TRIGGER the 4WAS module compressor off active command. GO to E7 .

No
TRIGGER the 4WAS module compressor off active command. GO to Pinpoint Test O.
E7 CHECK AIR COMPRESSOR PRESSURE OUTPUT

NOTE: If fluid is present when disconnecting an air line, clear the air lines; Check the compressor air drier for water or the front air spring for oil.

• Disconnect air line T-fitting at the right front shock tower.
  • Connect an air pressure gauge (1,723 kPa [250 psi] maximum reading) with common fittings to the air line going to the compressor air drier.
  • Run the air compressor for 30 seconds.
  • Wait five minutes.
  • TRIGGER the 4WAS module compressor vent on active command.
  • Did the compressor produce 1,034 kPa (150 psi) within 30 seconds and hold developed pressure during the five minutes?
Yes
GO to E9.

No
GO to E8.
E8 CHECK THE AIR DRIER FOR LEAKS

NOTE: Apply a soap and water solution to the air lines and air line connections when checking for air suspension system leakage.

• Thoroughly inspect the air drier-to-air compressor connection.
  • Is the air drier leaking at the air compressor?
Yes
INSTALL a new air drier. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.

No
GO to E10.
E9 CHECK AIR LINE FROM AIR DRIER

• Check for excessive air leaks, kinked or pinched air lines between the air compressor and LF, RF, LR, and RR air spring solenoids and between the air compressor and the air pressure gauge.
  • Are there any excessive leaks, kinks or pinched air lines?
Yes
INSTALL new or REPAIR the air line where necessary. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.

No
GO to E10.
E10 CHECK FOR A PLUGGED AIR LINE
  • Disconnect air line from the air drier.
  • TRIGGER the front and rear suspension vent active commands.
  • Does the vehicle lower at an acceptable rate?
Yes

No
GO to E11.
E11 CHECK FOR PLUGGED AIR DRIER
  • Disconnect the air drier from the air compressor.
  • Connect the air line to the air drier
Yes

No
GO to E12.
E12 CHECK FOR BLOCKAGE IN AIR LINE TO LF OR RF AIR SPRING

NOTE: If fluid is present when disconnecting an air line, clear the air lines; Check the air compressor air drier for water and check the air springs for oil.

• Disconnect the air line at LF, RF, LR, or RR air spring.
  • Disconnect the air line at the air drier.
  • Connect the vacuum tester at the suspect air spring air line and try to draw a vacuum.
  • Can a vacuum be drawn and held?
Yes
REPAIR the blockage in the affected air line(s). CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.

No
GO to E13.
E13 CHECK THE SPRINGS FOR CORRECT OPERATION

NOTE: If fluid is present when disconnecting an air line, clear the air lines. Check the air compressor air drier for water and check the air springs for oil.

• Disconnect the air line at the LF, RF, LR, or RR air spring solenoids.
  • TRIGGER the 4WAS module LF, RF, LR, and RR air spring solenoid valve vent active commands.
  • Does each corner of the vehicle lower?
Yes

No

Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The air leak test are below in pdf format, (just click on the link below).

Air Leak Test Procedures Click Here

Please keep in mind Just Answer is set up on an honor system, I have sent the information you have requested, and if the answer has been helpful then Please don't forget to click on the ACCEPT button, so that I may get credit for my work. If you need more help let me know.

Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.

Shawn, Technician
Experience: 16 years in the Automotive Industry