johncrouch1962
johncrouch1962, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford master certified, ASE master certified, on Diesel, hybrid and gasoline vehicles

Power steering pump..oil leak..block..a bracket behind the compressor

Customer Question

I change a leaky power steering pump and now I have a oil leak coming from between the block and what looks like a bracket behind the compressor.

Oil flows once the car is started. What could this be? Is there a gasket behind that bracket and if so how hard is it to get to?
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.

1995 Lincoln Continental 8 Cylinders V 4.6L SFI DOHC.

On the 4.6L engine the oil pump is on the front of the engine. That could be what is leaking.

graphic

Anytime you have a leak that is difficult to see where the leak is coming from, it is always a good idea to get a can of engine gunk and head off to the nearest carwash with a wand and soak the engine down with engine degreaser while the engine is warm and running. While running, so you know if something is getting to wet. It will start to stumble if you get the ignition too wet, so keep the water away from the coils or ignition. Plus don't get any water into the intake. After its clean drive it home and lay out a clean piece of cardboard completely under the engine on the ground, then let the engine idle untill the very first drip hits the cardboard, then look straight up from where the drip hit and look where it came from.

If it is that oil pump leaking, here are the instructions for getting it off, click here.

Chilton says replacing the oil pump takes 15.5 hours. The oil pan gasket alone was 2.3 hours. I see why, the timing chain cover calls for 14.9 hours.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My engine is clean already and I can see where the oil is coming from exactly, between the compressor bracket and the engine block, as stated in my original question. Is there an engine diagram that shows what is behind the compressor?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.

I looked but the only place I know that has diagrams of Lincolns doesn't have much and I could not find anything good enough. http://www.fordparts.com/ I did find a diagram of the timing chain cover because I thought you may be asking for that, I'll look some more.

graphic

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.

It appears there are several different types of compressors. I hope this is the correct one.

Click here, here and here. These are *.pdf's, they open with adobe acrobat reader.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I need to know what is causing the oil leak between the engine block and the compressor bracket. What is behind the compressor braket? Does it have a gasket that could be causing the leak? Is isveasy to fix?
Expert:  johncrouch1962 replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will assist you with your question. The A/C compressor is mounted at the left lower of the engine just above the oil pan gasket. There are a few places there that the leak could be coming from. One could be from the crankshaft position sensor. the other will be the seals for the timing cover where it bolts to the engine block and the heads. There is what is called a "T" joint where the timing cover the the block and cylinder head all meet, I have seen them leak there. If the gaskets for the timing cover need to be replaced, it will require all the accessory pulleys being removed from the front of the engine as well as the alternator and the crankshaft pulley. the valve covers will need to be removed as well. This is a repair that can be handled at home, but will require some special tools to remove the crank pulley and reinstall it. As long as you do not mess with the timing chains the engine timing will not be affected.

One thing that you can do to verify exactly where the leak is would be to put some engine oil dye in the oil and clean off the area real well then run the engine so you can see the leak. I know you said that it is pretty obvious, but this does help in verifying exactly where the leak is prevents repeat repairs.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Wouldn't the dye come out in the same place as the oil? I have also already cleaned the engine and can see clearly where the oil is coming from. There is no oil any other place? What is the 2-3 inch that the compressor bolts into? Is the diagram the shows each part of this motor?

I also have some pictures that show the leak that I can send to you. In think seeing the picture will help.

Thanks!
a photo would be great. just attach it to your next response. Once I see it I can tell you exactly what you will need to do to fix the leak.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
graphicgraphicgraphic

From the pictures that you sent, it looks like the timing cover gaskets are leaking. Since this is a front wheel drive vehicle, it will be very difficult to get the cover off and back on with out taking out the engine, it can be done, but extremely difficult. Depending on your skills at repairing vehicles, this is a repair that might be better to have performed by a repair shop instead of trying to do it at home.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you know what that costs about?

Thanks!
the parts will not be too bad, maybe about $100 for seals for the cover and front crank seal and 2 valve cover gaskets, the labor is gonna be the killer. Its about 15 hours to do the front cover, depending on labor rates in your area (ours is $98 per hour) you are looking at around $1600 to get this repair done.
Experience: Ford master certified, ASE master certified, on Diesel, hybrid and gasoline vehicles
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks!
You are welcome!