A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician

location of EVAP Control System Canister Vent Solenoid OBD Code P1451 on 1998 Lincoln Town

location of EVAP Control System Canister Vent Solenoid OBD Code P1451 on 1998 Lincoln Town Car

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

The cannister vent solenoid is located under the vehicle in the rear below the floor of the trunk. It is mounted in a bracket assembly that is mounted to the under side of the trunk.

Remove the bracket assembly. The cannister vent solenoid in mounted inside it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Let me look at your diagrams just a min

No problem.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

We ran over a "road gator" about a month ago and when we got to our destination we noticed that we had a hose that was dragging under the car. We were able to put it back in the clips right at the tray (1st image). Would that have anything to do with the code? The code just started about 1-1/2 wks ago. Are there wires that are involved with the hose, or can we just take the tray off & put the hose back on the 2nd image?

There are wires that go to the solenoid. The hose is the vent hose for the solenoid.

It should be connected to the valve inside the bracket. take the bracket down and make sure the hose is attached to the solenoid.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there any voltage on those wires? If so, what would it be? With key on or key off?

The voltage will only be there when the engine is running and the ECU (Engine Computer) commands the cannister vent solenoid to vent the fuel vapors back to the engine. This happens about once every 25 to 30 minutes.

If the solenoid is disconnected or the wiring is broken or cut, the code will be set.