Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q

2004 LINCOLN NAVIGATOR: DTC..DIES..MISFIRE..I REPLACED CRANK AND CAM

Customer Question

2004 LINCOLN NAVIGATOR 5.4 DTC P0320. IT SOMETIMES DIES AND IT FEEL LIKE MISFIRE WHEN DRIVING. I REPLACED CRANK AND CAM SENSORS.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 2 years ago.

Kalamykid :

the first thing you need to do is check the plugs for the cam and crank and make sure they are clean and dry. also make sure the conectors inside the plugs are bent corectly so they will make a good conection with the cam and crank sensors. Also if you are using a two way radio, the pcm can pick up on it `and cause this code. There is also another posibility, there can be mooisture inside the spark plug tubes, and the spark is jumping through the boot and hitting the spark plug tube walls and not the spark plugs. pull the coils out and see if there is any moisture on the coil boots.

Customer :

I CHECKED THE SPARK PLUGS THEY ARE FINE AND COILS TOO. ALSO CHECKED CONNECTORS ON BOTH SENSORS. THE TRUCK HAS 44000 MILES. BUT WHAT ABOUT TWO WAY RADIO? WHAT DO YOU MEAN? HOW DO I KNOW IF I HAVE THAT. HOW DO I CHECK THAT? HOW DO I FIX IT IF THAT IS THE PROBLEM.

Kalamykid :

A two way radio is a walkie talky, and i have even seen after market gps systems cause this problem. Did you make sure there was NO moisture in the spark plug tubes? Even a small amount of moisture in the tubes, or on the boots will cause this problem.

Customer :

NO MOISTURE, THEY ARE CLEAN.

Kalamykid :

check the plug for the pcm, and make sure the pins are clean and have no corosiuon on them.

Customer :

I HAVE THE PCM HERE WITH ME AND LOOK CLEAN.

Kalamykid :

how about the pins in the plug?

Customer :

I HAVEN'T CHECK THE PLUGS BUT I WILL CHECK IT TOMORROW MORNING. ANYTHING ELSE BESIDES THAT? ANY OTHER IDEA?

Kalamykid :

If everything looks good, then there has to be a bad coil. drive the truck and see if you can find a point were the engine will miss, and hold it at that point so the coil can set a missfire code. the pcm has to detect 6 missis in a row to set a code.

Customer :

OK I WILL DO THAT AND I WILL GET BACK TO YOU TOMORROW.

Kalamykid :

ok. I will be back online around 10 am eastern time.

Customer :

OK. THANK YOU!

Kalamykid :

you are very welcome.

Customer :

I DID WHAT YOU TOLD ME AND GOT JUST RANDOM MISFIRE.

Customer :

I CLEANED MAF SENSOR AND NO DIFFERENSE

Kalamykid :

Is there a gps, or satalite radio coneected to this truck?

Customer :

IT HAS THE GPS THAT CAME WITH THE TRUCK. IT DOESN'T HAVE ANY AFTER MARKET PARTS.

Kalamykid :

then there has to be a bad coil, the only problem is which one? you will have to pull all of them and do some ohms testing on all of them to determine which one or more is bad.