Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

97 lincoln: air suspension..the rear end..compressor..front wheels

Customer Question

the rear air suspension on my 97 lincoln has stopped working and now the rear end is sagging real low - what can I check - I suspect a air leak somewhere - the compressor runs and the front wheels are not affected - how do I access the compressor - maybe a air line has busted from the compressor?
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 3 years ago.

Kalamykid :

the first thing youneed to chek will be the rear heith sensor and make sure it has not popped loose.

Kalamykid :

I will post a diagram of its location. It will be number 7 in the diagram.

Kalamykid :

Full Size Image

Customer:

hi, what's a heith sensor?

Customer:

Also, which number is XXXXX compressor?

Customer:

I will go check on that heith sensor...

Kalamykid :

the rear heith sensor tells the air suspention module how high or low the rear end is. It just pops onto a ball socket on both ends.

Kalamykid :

the compressor is nuber 10

Customer:

the car is so low in the rear I need to jack it up to get under it to look for that sensor - i'll be back...

Kalamykid :

Make sure to turn the air ride off

Kalamykid :

You do not want to jack the car up unless the air ride has been shut off, do yuo know where the shhut off switch is?

Customer:

okay, I'm back - yes, I know where the shut off is - I found the heith sensor and it appears to be plugged in fine - I took one end off the sensor and moved the plunger up and down - I then started the car and turned the compressor on but nothing happened - I think the compressor is dead now - which fuse do I check? I have a multimeter and can check for power somewhere - I have no indications of a problem in the display readouts on the dash -

Kalamykid :

Let me lk up the wire diagram and the location for the fuses. Be right back asap.

Kalamykid :

Fuses 3 and 22 in the fuse box under the hood are the fuses for the air compressore.

Kalamykid :

Did you check the fuses? If you have the air ride turned off the compressor will not kick on.

Customer:

Hi, the fuses only go up to 14 - I checked every fuse in the box under the hood - I even checked the diodes and reseated all the relays in the box - the compressor started running but it stops after less than a minute and the rear end does not come up any - the front end is fine - no sag, How can I prove it is the compressor not pumping enough - maybe it is bad - can I pull the compressor and run it?

Kalamykid :

There ae a few tests we can run on the system to see what is going on, but the best thing to do would be to pull the control valves out of the front air bags and see if the compressor will pump themback up first.

Kalamykid :

If the front does come back up, then we know better what area we need to be looking at to correct the rear.

Customer:

OK, where are they and are they just plug in electrical connections?

Kalamykid :

I amsorry but this car does not have front air ride, it uses a regular spring over strut set up.

Kalamykid :

Can you locate item 12 in the diagrami posted, this is the control module for the air ride and we need to do some testing on the wires to and from it.

Kalamykid :

i iamsorry the control module is in the truck and is number 2 in the diagram.

Customer:

Yes, I have seen this module and wondered what it was -want me to open it up?

Kalamykid :

number 12 is the pcm.

Customer:

And , can I just have regular shocks put on the rear witrhout too much trouble and I'll be done with this air ride system.

Kalamykid :

You would have to get a spring convertion kit to remove the rear air springs.

Customer:

okay- so you want me to open the pcm module?

Kalamykid :

No I need you to get to number 2 in the truck, this is the ride control module, the pcm does not have much control over the air ride.

Customer:

cool, thanks for that info on the spring conversion...

Customer:

number 2 in the trunk...ok

Kalamykid :

At under $250.00 that is not too bad of a price, but the ride is not as smooth.

Customer:

compared to dragging ass right now I would accept a less smooth ride - but maybe we can figurre out what I am dealing with today...now what am I going to check on this number 2 module?

Kalamykid :

The module is in a tray under the rear window self. Let me post a diagram of its specific location.

Customer:

ok

Kalamykid :

Full Size Image

Customer:

Ok- got it - which module in the drawing is it and what do I check - I have pulled the tray down in the trunk and see all the modules

Customer:

I think part of the drawing got cut off the bottom of the page -

Kalamykid :

number 7 is the air ride control module.

Kalamykid :

Sorry about that it was on the next page.

Kalamykid :

here is a pin out for the plug to the module, you will need this as a guid to know what wire and pin I am asking you to take readings from.

Kalamykid :

Full Size Image

Customer:

Got it - where do you want me to check and for what?

Kalamykid :

You will need a paper clip, with te paper clip yucan slide along side the wires and into the plug so the paper clip is touching the metal onectors inside the plug so you do not have to poke a hole in the wires.

Kalamykid :

you will need to tesat pins 1,36,37, 56,57, and 58 to see if they have 12 volts with the ignition switch in the run position, or with the engine running.

Customer:

I understand - ok - next

Customer:

got it - I can go check it now

Kalamykid :

ok

Customer:

the wiring doesn't quite match - wire 56 hole is empty - I get 12 volts on wires 1, 36, 37, 38

Kalamykid :

There willbe some differances as the diagram is for both front nd rear air ride as well as jsut rear.

Customer:

I get 5vdc on 58, .2vdc on 57 and 1.4vdc on 3 when the compressor was running pin 3 went to 12vdc when the compressor was not running - I need to run these checks again to confirm - does this info help? What about the pin out being different?

Customer:

Do I check while the compressor is running? Switch is on but not running?

Kalamykid :

I believe you have the chart wrong. When you look at the pin out iposted this is looking at the plug from the module side, not the back side where the wirees are.

Customer:

I will verify - but I believe I was reading it right - no numbering on the plug - that would be nice to have - I'll check where the empty holes are and should be able to match it up correctly - I'll be back

Kalamykid :

ok

Customer:

you were right - I found pin put numbers on the plastic part of the connector - I found 12vdc on all the wires that exist -

Kalamykid :

That is much better.

Customer:

the compressor does run but nothing happens to the rear level - are we ready to say the compressor is the problem yet?

Kalamykid :

not yet. Lets trick the system and see if w can get the rear to rise up.

Kalamykid :

what I need you to do is run a jumper from pin 35 to pin 36 to activate the comprsssor, and

Kalamykid :

Then when the compresor is on run a jumper from pins 37 to 52 and see if the rr will rise up.

Kalamykid :

sorry about that pin 37 to pin 38

Kalamykid :

You can have the module unpluged to do this test if you woudl like.

Customer:

I'll go try this now -

Kalamykid :

ok

Kalamykid :

you may have to run the jumper to pin 52 as well as pin 38

Customer:

ok, when I jumper 35-36 nothing happens - I have the module still connected - nothing happened when I jumpered 37-38 but I just where I might have to jumper 52 as well as 38 so I'll try that - taking a lunch break -get back after that.

Customer:

ty

Customer:

ok--tried again, still nothing happens when I jumper 35-36 but I notice that if I have 37-28-52 jumpered the compressor only runs for a few seconds and stops - but when not jumpered the compressor will run for a minute or so but still no lift in the rear-

Customer:

I have the module still plugged in when doing this- maybe I should try it with the module unplugged?

Kalamykid :

yes please try this with the module unplugged.

Customer:

ok will do - back in a bit

Kalamykid :

ok

Customer:

started raining had to come inside- may I continue this with you- might be tomorrow - will be you working?

Kalamykid :

i shoudl be back online around 1 pm eastern tomorrow.

Kalamykid :

that shoud be 12 your time.

Customer:

I'm eastern timw too - we'll talk then.

Customer:

thank you

Kalamykid :

you are welcome, chat with you then.,

Customer:

HI - I'm back - how's it going today? Rain is in the area so I am not sure I will be able to work on this this afternoon but my last checks you asked me to do seem to do nothing - I jumpered all the wires like you asked- 35 to 36 and 37-38-52 all jumpered together. Is ther anything else I try - the compressor does run but the rear has collapsed all the way down - I have no suspension in the rear - can I tap into the air line somewhere to prove the compressor is actually pumping air?

Kalamykid :

You would have to pull one of the ines loose from the rear air springs, then trip the compressor on, and see if you get any pressure at the end of the line.

Kalamykid :

if you look on the air compressor itself, see if there is an air port like you woudl find on your tires. If there is one we may be able to get the rear to come up, with out the compressor, but you woudl need an air compressor for air tools, or an air tank.

Customer:

I will look for a air port and I have a small compressor - either way - I'll check

Customer:

what did my checks prove when I jumpered the wires? Nothing happened - does that indicate anything

Customer:

hi - what should have happened when I jumpered the wires? What does it mean if nothing happened when I jumpered them?

Kalamykid :

When you run the jumpers, the right tear air bag shoudl have built up pressure and raised back up. With it not raising, then you either have a short to the air valve at the air spring, or the compressor is not buildingup any pressure as it is running.

Customer:

Okay - thank you for all your help, I will be going to my local mechanic here and find out what it is tomorrow- I didn't find any air port around the compressor but I sustpect either a leak or the compressor isn't working.

Customer:

Thank you again, I think this service is a great deal and you were a big help -

Customer:

I will be accepting the charge now and would definitely use this service again in the future if needed and I will tell everyone I know what a resource and tool this site is. I could have found the problem with your help and fixed it myself, or at least know what it probably is before going to the shop for repair.

Kalamykid :

More then likely the compressor itself is bad. It shoudl have aired the one air bag up when you jumped out the plug and told the valves and compressor to let air in.

Kalamykid :

You may be bale to get a good usec ompressor at your local auto salvage yard or i woudl look on ebay to see if there is a good deal on one there.

Customer:

I can probably change the compressor myself. I'll know more tomorrow.

Kalamykid :

The compressor is not hard to replace and I think you can handle it. There are a few more things we can check if you woudl like so you do not have to pay some one to look at it for you.

Customer:

What else could I check?

Kalamykid :

the next thing to check will be the air out put of the compressor. You can pull the air hose out of the compressor and see if after jumping pins out in the plug in the trunk if the compressor is pushing out any air to the air springs.

Kalamykid :

The compressor has three parts to it, the compressor, the storage tank, and the solenoid body that controls what air spring has air directed to it.

Kalamykid :

Also there are control valves on top of each air spring that can be bad.

Customer:

Ok, will the whole unit pull out without disconnecting any air lines because when I look at it I can't tell.

Customer:

I see the tank and solenoid

Kalamykid :

You may be bale to pull it up some with out pulling the air lines loose. How many air lines are there on the unit?

Customer:

Not sure but I think I see a total of four ports in an aluminum square block at the bottom of the tank. Not sure but there is a single rubber line at the top of the tank but it I am sure it is not a pressure line

Kalamykid :

the air tubes for the air springs will com eoff of the top of the holding tank.

Customer:

I can take a better look at the tank and line sand try pulling it up a bit to take a better look-

Customer:

How late are you on tonight?

Kalamykid :

will be here till around 1 1pm

Kalamykid :

here is a diagram of the compressor.

Kalamykid :

Full Size Image

Kalamykid :

The nuts and bolts that hold the comprssor in are removed from under the inner fender.

Kalamykid :

and there is one that runs through the comprssor from the top side. the diagram shows there locations.

Customer:

ok, it is getting dark now- I can pull the air line off the top of the tank to see if there is any air pressure.

Customer:

I can't believe the line on top is the pressure line because there is no clamp to hold it on. I think I can just pull it off by hand - that doesn't seem right.

Kalamykid :

you have to jump pins 52, 35 and 36 all together and then you should be bale to put your finger over the air port with the hose pulled and see if air is pushing out the port.

Kalamykid :

you have to push theorange base down and then the line will pull out, it is an internal pressure clamp that holds the line in.

Customer:

wait- yesterday I jumpered 35 to 36 and 37-38-52 together - should I have jumpered 35-36-52 instead?

Kalamykid :

you did it correctly, I do not like to run more then two items off of any one power sorce.

Customer:

Ok, push the orange base down - I recall seeing any orange base but let me go check now

Kalamykid :

ok

Customer:

I could not get the air line off no matter what I did. The orange ring was around the line at the top of the tank but it wold not push in.

Kalamykid :

then yours is the type that has to be pulled up while pushing down on he line itself. Once the ornage ring comes up then you can pull the tube out.

Customer:

OK, it is getting dark now and I can try this tomorrow. Will you be on tomorrow afternoon?

Customer:

If I accept and pay now will I be able to chat with you more about this problem?

Kalamykid :

Please do not accept till we are done with this. If you accept now we will be put into a Q&A formate and not the live chat.

Kalamykid :

i will be back online around 8 am in the morning, but I have to go to the auto salvage yards tomorrow afternoon and pick up some parts, so i may not be on from 11 am till 3 pm.

Customer:

Good to know. We will continue until I get the air line off and see if it is the compressor or not.

Customer:

Also, I was not able to get the orange ring to push in or pull out - I tried both - am I being too easy - I'm strong and don't want to break anything.

Kalamykid :

i ususaly have to use a small pocket screw driver to pry up on the ring, but you also have top push the tube back into the holder at the same time.

Kalamykid :

if the tube comes up with the ring, it will not unlock.

Customer:

When I look at the drawing the line is number 1 and is coming off the top sideways not up and out or in and out - could this be different from what you are talking about ? The part on top of the tank is a solid piece of black plastic. It looks like my setup.

Kalamykid :

It willnot matter if the line comes out the side or out the top, the holding fixture is still the same and the line will come out the same way.

Customer:

Ok, I will try again tomorrow. Hope to chat again soon. thank you

Kalamykid :

you are very welcome. we will chat again tomorrow and find out for sure what is going on and what needs to be replaced or repaired to correct your problem.

Customer:

Good evening.

Kalamykid :

Good night.

Customer:

I was going over the diagram/drawings of the air system and was wondering if you had the legend naming all the numbered items. Number 4 and 8 appear to be end of air lines with no connection. I was thinking they might be air ports that could be used to charge up the suspension in case the compressor stopped working - also, I am not sure where the solenoid that directs the air to the rear wheels is - it controls left and right separately? I'll follow up with you after I get home tomorrow after 4pm ET.

Kalamykid :

There is a solenoid just under the holdingtank that has to open so the air will flow through the tank and back to the air springs. Ontop of each air spring is another solenoid that will open to3 let air in or vent air out depending on what it is needed to obtain a levle ride.

Customer:

I was unable to remove any air line so far - there must be a special tool needed to do it - I accept your answers and really appreciated all your help. I would use this service again in the future when ever I have any questions and I will recommend this site to anyone I know in need of help with anything. I really like this concept of getting expert help on-line like this.

Kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience: I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, to follow-up on what I have found out today - I removed the compressor and have spliced a compressor into the air line to the rear wheels - I have 100psi on the line and have tried jumpering like you instructed but nothing happened - I have 37-38-52 jumpered to open the solenoids but they don't open up because nothign happens - the rear does not raise up any and I would think that 100punds of pressure should be plenty to raise up the rear - can you verify the jumpered wires for me because this should be working now but it isn't. That's it - once I open the solenoids the rear should raise up.
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 3 years ago.
Let me go backover the diagrasm and make sure the pins, i will be right back with you asap.
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 3 years ago.

will anyting happen if you just blow air pressure in to the line with out running any jumpers? Also try just jumping 37 and 38, then if it does not come up jump 37 and 52. Let me know if it even tryies on any of the three settings.