Shawn
Shawn, Technician
Experience:  16 years in the Automotive Industry
8633277

2002 Lincoln ls: the radiator fan motor..overheating..pressure switch

I have a 2002 Lincoln ls that I just replaced the radiator fan motor on and it's still overheating. I saw something about a pressure switch how do I test for this and where is it located?
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today with your question.

-Why was the cooling fan replaced?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It would start off with alot of air flow thru the radiator and then diminish when the car warmed up saw the bulletin and it seemed to describe my problem. But the car is still overheating and on other blogs saw someone else with the same problem and they talked about a pressure switch. After replacing the fan the car is still doing the same thing air flow when cool less as it warms up
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer, below is a list of possibilities, if you need I can send the pinpoint test procedures for the cooling fan.

• The engine overheats
  • Water thermostat.
  • Airlock in the system.
  • Water pump.
  • Internal engine coolant leak.
  • Radiator.
  • Radiator airflow obstruction.
  • Heater core.
  • Cooling fan.
  • Pressure relief cap.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you know how to test the pressure switch. It is a brand new fan with diminshed air flow,
no Leak in the water pump no air lock, thermostat changed, showing no signs of moisture thru the tail pipe or on the ground. blew the radiator out no obstruction no problem with the heater core
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer, there is no pressure switch.
If you are referring to the CHT (Cylinder Head Temperature) sensor. Then yes. If you need I can send the test procedures as well as replacement instructions.

LINCOLN:
2001-2002 LS

ISSUE:

Some vehicles may exhibit an engine overheating condition and/or the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) may also be illuminated with codes P1285 and P1299 stored in memory. This may be caused by an inoperative Hydraulic Cooling Fan (HCF). This inoperative condition may be intermittent.

P1285 - Cylinder Head Over Temperature Sensed Indicates an engine overheat condition was sensed by the cylinder head temperature sensor.
  • Low engine coolant level
  • Base engine concerns
  • Engine cooling system concerns
  • CHT sensor concern
On some applications when this fault occurs the Engine Temperature warning indicator will illuminate and/or force the temperature gauge to full H (Hot) zone by grounding the engine temperature warning circuit.

P1299 - Cylinder Head Over Temperature Protection Active Indicates an engine overheat condition was detected by the cylinder head temperature (CHT) sensor. An FMEM Strategy called Fail-safe Cooling was activated to cool the engine.
  • Engine cooling system concerns
  • Low engine coolant level
  • Base engine concerns
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Again we replaced the cooling fan, and it is still overheating again the question is for the pressure switch test or is there an auxillary pump that could be tested? on the fuse panel said auxillary pump for coolant
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

HiCustomer

The Cylinder Head Temperature sensor:

• is mounted into the wall of the cylinder head and is not connected to any coolant passages.
  • sends a signal to the PCM indicating the cylinder head temperature.
  • If the temperature exceeds approximately 121°C (250°F), the PCM disables half the fuel injectors at a time. The PCM will alternate which fuel injectors are disabled every 32 engine cycles. The cylinders that are not being fuel injected act as air pumps to aid in cooling the engine.
  • If the temperature exceeds approximately 166°C (330°F), the PCM disables all of the fuel injectors until the engine temperature drops below approximately 154°C (310°F).
  • The coolant temperature gauge pointer will read fully hot.
  • The check gauge warning indicator will illuminate and DTCs are set.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Hoping another mechanic has more experience with this problem on the Lincoln Ls
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer, Below in pdf format is the how the cooling system works in your vehicle. (just click on the link below).

2002 LINCOLN LS COOLING SYSTEM DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION INFORMATION CLICK HERE

Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer, Based on your description, the most common cause of the problem you are having is a defective CHT. Before replacing any parts I do recommend proper testing first. If you need I can send the test procedures as well as replacement instructions.

There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) from Ford Motor Company in regards XXXXX XXXXX situation. Below is a copy of the TSB in pdf format. (just click on thew link below).

CLICK HERE FOR TSB 01-21-11

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok did some research on Lincoln forum and guess I will try to see if I have air in the system where is the engine air bleed and heater air bleed? This is from the factory service manual for bleeding the cooling system.
There is an actuator on the pump how to test this?
What is the function of the auxillary coolant pump? and when does it activate
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer,

The auxiliary water pump (3.9L only):

• provides heater coolant flow boost.
  • has a secondary function of providing engine-off cooling.

Below in pdf format is the how the cooling system works in your vehicle complete with component locations. (just click on the link below).

Also if you need I can send the bleeding and flush procedures directly from Ford Lincoln Mercury

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
  1. Yes please send the bleeding instructions what I read gave instructions but not the LOCATION of where the engine air bleed and heater bleed is?

Read the cooling system function and did not see the ACTUATOR that is referred to on the Lincoln forums.

Auxillary coolanat pump is number 21 not the water pump you are referring to thats part 16

Looking for the function of the coolant pump, you described the water pump.
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer, I am not familiar with the Lincoln Forums you are referring to. The information I have is directly from the Manafacturer.

Hydraulic Cooling Fan System Filling and Bleeding Procedure Click Here

CLICK HERE FOR TEST PROCEDURES

And Please don't forget to click on the green ACCEPT answer button, so that I may get credit for my work, thanks.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer, below is additional information.

(If you need I can send the CHT sensor pinpoint tests as well)

Cooling System Draining, Filling and Bleeding Procedures click here

Please keep in mind Just Answer is set up on an honor system, I have sent the information you have requested, and if the answer has been helpful then Please don't forget to click on the ACCEPT button, so that I may get credit for my work.
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer, the cooling fan system wiring diagram is below.

graphic

Shawn, Technician
Experience: 16 years in the Automotive Industry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank You for all the info you've provided. There is an actuator part# XXXXX According to the Lincoln forums it releases fluid that controls the flow of the fan slow mid or fast. It is on the power steering pump. Do you have info on this how to test it and if replaced how to bleed this system?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
He has been extremely helpful, I just haven't diagnosed my problem yet and hope another mechanic had the same issues
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Guess this problem hasn't come up for you guys, so Thank You for all the links you provided and I will continue to do my own research.
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for the delay, just started a new job. And have been very busy. I can send that information for you.

Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

Hi Customer,

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer, I live out here in Phoenix Arizona, on this is a very common issue with LS models. So much in fact, I won't get one. Even though I think the are the best looking Lincolns around! There is a common problem with these cars having overheating issues.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If you can send me the info on how to test the actuator that would be great